Windows 7 problems

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I am new to the site.

Ok, I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. I've been wanting play some PC games on my Imac, as we all know, many game companies do not format their games to run on macintosh. With this being true, I decided to run bootcamp. I set it all up, got out my Windows XP disk, created the partition, etc. Bam now I have windows on my mac and I can play games.

I then decided to download a game I heard a lot about, Company of Heros. I read all about it to see what the best specs to run the game were, my computer met all of them, 2Gb of ram, and a nice video card. So I maxed the graphics out to their highest and played the game. The game ran beautifully, no lag, and maxed graphics.

Then windows 7 comes out, at the time bootcamp didn't officially support it. I tried to install the 64-bit, but it did not let me, so I tried the 32, and it let me.
After installing the 32-bit, I bought Company of Heroes Gold Edition, installed that, and started it up. I maxed the graphics out to their fullest like I did in XP, started up a skirmish, and found myself looking at 1fps on my screen. The game lagged so badly it was unplayable. I went back to my graphics, and hit recommended settings, and the game ran smoothly, but the graphics were defiantly subpar.

Then the update for bootcamp comes out 3.0 to 3.1, i install the 32-bit 3.1 on my mac partition, but its an .exe file, so I installed it on my PC partition, I don't see any changes.

So questions I have would be:
I think that Windows 7 is not reading my graphics card correctly, is there any way to fix this? I really want to install the 64-bit, but its not letting me, anyone have an idea why its not letting me? Why did the game run smoothly in XP on max settings, but lags terribly in win7.

OP
T
Reaction score
Any help? I noticed a system rating thing when I went into the computer properties, it was giving me a 4.9, and saying that I needed to refresh it or something, could this help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So questions I have would be:
I think that Windows 7 is not reading my graphics card correctly, is there any way to fix this? I really want to install the 64-bit, but its not letting me, anyone have an idea why its not letting me? Why did the game run smoothly in XP on max settings, but lags terribly in win7.

You don't need Windows 7 64 bit to play games since most games including the one you want to play are compiled for 32 bit. The game ran smoothly in XP because of the optimized drivers which are available for that OS.

Which graphics card is your iMac using? Go to the graphic chipset maker's web site and download - install the latest 32 bit drivers for it. You do all that from within Windows 7 not OS X. Also make sure you correctly applied the Boot Camp 3.1 update - which again must be done from Windows 7.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you!

Ill try these things out. I have an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro card.

I downloaded the ATI driver from their site, and checked my drivers, and it showed that I had the ATI card I mentioned above. I ran the game under max settings and I only experience lag wehn I scroll across the map fast, probably a rendering issue within the game or something to do with the memory, other than that, the game is running smoothly now.

One last thing I noticed was the sound. The sound sounds canned or muffled for some reason. Do I need to install some sort of sound drivers as well? There is a noticeable difference in sound quality. This happened in XP too, and now with win7

Reaction score
you need windows 7 64 bit(and generally any os 64 bit)if your mac has more than 3gbs of ram...thats because 32 bit operating systems only support ram up to 3 gbs...
concerning your sound problem i have no solution since when i installed windows 7 64 bit on my imac 27 it would have no sound...
i still havent fixed it although i upgraded to v 3.1 bootcamp...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.