Ipad or little G4/G5 ibook? Which is the better buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have been thinking I can get good used ibook G4/G5 or maybe even a really good deal on a macbook for the same price of a new ipad. And both will have roughly the same speed CPU in them. Maybe the notebooks CPU would be a little better.

So for a little portable 2nd computer would an old ibook/macbook or an ipad be the better buy and why? I ask this cause I think a lot of people would be asking the same question and want to know the answer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you need an Optical drive? USB/Firewire ports?

If I was to be stuck with just one computer, I would go for either a used last gen iBook G4 or Used Macbook if were me as I have to have the above and it would do a lot more of what I need to do.

Also do remember, no G5 notebook was ever made. It would be a G4. I would look for a used Macbook in good shape as the G4 is no longer supported and there will be less and less applications that will run on the Power PC.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks for the advice and I agree totally with you.
But I'm talking more as a 2nd computer to be a portable extention to my imac which is stuck at home.

And to answer your questions. I don't need an optical drive or USB on the go. But I would need a way to get music and various pages/numbers documents and music (itunes) from my computer to the portable device. I can do that on the notebook but not so sure how doable it is on the ipad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.