Advice in what to buy: iPod touch/iPhone

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m having trouble deciding what should I buy, so I need some advice.
I have a budget of max. 500E. Therefore I must choose between:

1. a new iPod touch 8gb (cheaper, but older from a hardware point of view)
PRO
- cheaper
- the warranty
CON
- 8gb
- the hardware is to old (I think from ‘08)

2. a new iPod touch 32gb (more expensive, but in the 400E limit)
PRO
- 32 gb
- the warranty
CON
- at this point financial point, I can think of a iPhone

3. a used iPhone 3G (around 400E; the new 3GS is not an option, due to the 2 years contract and a used 3GS it’s around 500E)
PRO
- the camera and the phone
CON
- it’s 3G (so also from ‘08)
- it’s used, so I don’t have the warranty

What I intend to use it for (not in a specific order):
- listening to music and watching video-podcasts (and even a movie on the go)
- reading some documentations and even a lightweight book
- agenda, organizer
- internet (mail, google, etc.)
- using different application and perhaps some games (testing and/or developing)
- and if we talk about the iPhone: the phone itself and stretching the camera to its limit
- voice recording
- etc.

The questions I think of:
- should I buy a new iPod touch or a used old generation iPhone?
- how big/noticeable is the hardware difference between a iPod touch 3gen and a iPhone 3G?
- how great is the risk of buying a used iPhone (without a warranty)?
- (kind of off topic: what do you think about the saying that “the iPad is just a bigger iPod touch”? … of course having in mind the model without 3G; is it worth 499$?; if the convenience of carrying it into your pocket is not a big deal and is not that important, is it worth buying a iPad in detriment of a iPod touch?)

I’m not that impressed/interested with/in the phone function. On the other hand I appreciate the camera very much (maybe if Apple announced yesterday not only the iPad, but also the Ipod touch with a camera, I wouldn’t be in a dilemma). I want to buy something useful. And I intend to buy only one thing (so for the next couple of years I don’t want to buy something else).

Anyway, I’m looking forward to you’re advice and suggestions.

Thank you,
Yeseanul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
get the iPhone.

Reaction score
The pricing plans are quite expensive with the iPhone. If you have enough access to WiFi, go for the iPod Touch. The iPod Touch can do everything an iPhone can if you have Wifi (there's a few minute details like not having a microphone, but you can plug one in). If you are fine with your phone you have now, and have access to Wifi, save yourself some money and get the ipod.

Size wise, I have 80+ gigs of music, and although I thought I would not make it with only an 8 GB iPod Touch, it is all you need. I have about 50 apps, 8 podcasts, photos, and a few playlists, with still only half of the ipod filled.

(I still have a camera on my LG EnV2, and it works just as good as the iPhone one does)

C

chas_m

The iPhone is a better overall product (largely due to that "phone" thing, as well as the built-in mic, faster proc, more RAM, compass etc), but it's also an ongoing expense.

The iPod Touch, OTOH, isn't.

You really do have to factor that in your decision.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.