.Bin.gz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HD 7,200RPM
I have downloaded a large file and is a .GZ. But when I expand it it gives me a .bin but it is a image file and I can't get it past that please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
what do you mean by "can't get past that" ?? could you elaborate??
if it in fact is an image, then you should be able to mount it just like a .dmg by double clicking on it
another way would be to use disk utility, just drag the .bin image file into disk utility and click open in the top panel

but, .bin doesn't necessarily have to be a disk image, it can be a data archive used by some programs, usually an installer

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well it is the blue marble large image file, and once I get it to the .bin then I am not sure what else to do with it to view the image.

this is the message i get from the Archive Utility after it uncompresses it.

Unable to archive "world.topo.bathy.200411.3x86400x43200.bin" into "world.topo.bathy.200411.3x86400x43200.bin.cpgz".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I did a quick google for that file and it looks like data for another program, some sort of virtual planet or something, my guess is the .bin is a data archive for some program, you probably won't be able to look at that file straight on as a photo, is that what you're trying to accomplish?
If so, check forums for that software or whatever

You're probably confusing two terms: an image as a graphic or photo vs. an image as a disk image, which can be e.g. a cd/dvd saved to your hard drive
However .bin disk images are more common on windows, on a Mac it's more likely to be either a data package or even an installer of some sort, either way consult the file source pages ...

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah I have come across that a lot, but there are directions on their site saying how to open it in PS but I get to the end and it crashes. So I wasn't sure what the deal is.

Reaction score
yeah I have come across that a lot, but there are directions on their site saying how to open it in PS but I get to the end and it crashes. So I wasn't sure what the deal is.

Hi there,
I am on the same files exactly and have same problem as you have.
I tried change .bin to .raw and open as Photoshop raw (CS5) but when i follow instructions and enter the pixel counts it tells me file size doesn't correspond.

Have you sorted the problem and could you help me please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.