Completely owned myself, no HD access or disc boot

Reaction score
Apple really isn't making this easy for me :/
Where to begin..

So I set my mac hd permissions to no access and restarted. the story is long... i have an intel based imac. I appear to have firmware enabled, as I'm unable to boot from cd by holding c. I am also unable to boot into safe mode, or single user mode, let alone use the repair utility. I also cannot boot into firmware mode, nor can I use the boot command to reset my pram.... I have an external harddrive I used for time machine, but when I boot from it all I get is a cursor that I can move around on an empty blue screen - obviously, it doesnt have leopard on it. Now I'm stuck with an iMac that can't gain access to its own harddrive. It boots up normally, gets past the white/gray apple screen, then proceeds to a blue screen where i see those spiraling gray lines for about 10 seconds before they disappear, it goes to blank blue, then back to the spiraling lines, repeatedly. forever. i'm certain it's sick of me powering it down by force and trying an array of different failing boot methods. I am now at a loss for action. Please....halp. I really don't want to afford the apple repair shop and anyways, I doubt they would know as much about what's happening to it as I already do

p.s. my only other computer is a laptop with xp pro, i don't know if it might be able to assist me in fixing my problem

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you are unable to boot from a DVD, then you may have much bigger issues than your permissions modifications. Try resetting the PRAM. If that doesn't work, and no one else has a working solution, then call Apple and plan on getting it serviced.

EDIT: Silly me… I see you already tried that. I'm highly inclined to believe your motherboard has gone bad. Plan on sending it in for repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yep. if you can't boot, and have no way of even trying Target Disk mode, and FSCK won't work because it won't boot, you are in some serious trouble there.
No work around that I can think of. New HD, and complete new install I suspect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.