Blank External Display Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2Ghz Core 2 Duo - White
Hi there,

I'm having an issue with a Samsung SyncMaster 2233w external monitor connected to my Macbook. I made sure I did my research before my purchasing so I have a Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor connected to a DVI cable connected to the monitor. I also checked that the Macbook was capable of running the full HD resolution of the monitor (1920 x 1080).

The screen is recognised by the Macbook, i.e. it comes up in my Displays preferences pane, I can drag windows onto it, I can see it when I press F8 to open Spaces, I can change the resolution. It even knows it's a SyncMaster somehow. But all the display shows is a blank screen, as if it's in standby mode.

Disconnecting the cable either at the Macbook, or the end of the adaptor causes the Macbook to reset to one screen (obviously) and the external display to show a message saying "Check Signal Cable". I've run the display in both extended and mirrored modes, tried various resolutions, the "Detect Displays" button, and scoured forums for an answer but so far nothing I've tried has worked.

Any help with the issue would be very much appreciated!

Cheers, Martin.

Reaction score
Same Issue

I have the same exact issue. My external monitor used to work just fine with my mac. however now after a few updates it no longer works. I am running on Snow Leopard with the latest updates and using a SyncMaster 2232BW. I've noticed the same symptoms as above however occasionally I'll see my extended desktop flash on to the screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Lucid:

Are you hooking the Samsung up after the MacBook powers up or is it already attached when you turn everything on? (It should already be attached.)

The Samsung SyncMaster series of monitors also have an input for VGA (analog). You might try using a VGA adapter and cable from your MacBook to see if that will work.

I have my SyncMaster connected via DVI (same as you) and it works fine. Also check the menu setup for your SyncMaster... make sure you have it set correctly. I know that if I change my menu setup from auto detect to DVI only, sometimes my SyncMaster will not work. You should have your input menu set to "auto".

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick response.

I have tried restarting with the screen attached and just plugging in after it's started. I've also been trying other DVI cables and another external display (different brand and model) with no success.

I'm getting the feeling there must be some issue with either the Macbook or the adaptor itself though. Both of the screens I've tried work perfectly when connected to my housemate's Windows setup. I'll look into the VGA alternative if I have no luck with the DVI at all but I'd rather make this work with what I've got.

I'm fairly sure the input is on auto, as when I turn the screen on with nothing attached it scans between digital and analog.

My Macbook is quite old, approaching 3 years, so it might have something to do with that. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to finally get a new Macbook Pro. ^_^

Reaction score
I am currently having this problem with my macbook pro (unibody), so it's not just 5 year old macbooks.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's disappointing to hear Nano. I was thinking it may be about time for an upgrade but I would certainly like to be able to use an external display properly! I'm wondering if there's any real fix for this issue at all.

From my testing it must be a hardware issue inside the laptop or the adaptor. I've tested multiple displays, both of which work perfectly with other computers. Interestingly I have the Mini-DVI to Video adaptor, which runs a composite video cable into my TV and I have never had an issue with that.

In your case, you may be able to get Apple to take a look at the problem if you still have a current warranty. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.