Importing files from Windows Media Player :Confused:

Reaction score
Hi,

At present I've got all my music on a Creative Zen Vision M which is a great little player. But it's synced to my PC which I'm using less and less. As I've just ordered a new Macbook Pro I was thinking I could shift everything over to that and close down the PC for good. Could anyone tell me A. Is it possible to import all the files I have currently on the PC (in Windows Media Player format) and B. If so, is it a painless process? :D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
shouldn't be a problem delsutton, just copy and paste :D nothing painful about that

what format do you use? mp3 and .avi? you can just import your songs into iTunes and VLC is in my opinion the best way to go for viewing movies, it supports .avi along with probably any format you can think of

OP
D
Reaction score
I've got a mix of MP3 and WMA files. Jut concerned that WMA wouldn't pop nto iTunes direct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
oh, .wma files won't play in iTunes, although there might be wma plugins for iTunes ... however you can play wma files with quicktime or other players or just convert them to mp3s

C

chas_m

Hi,

At present I've got all my music on a Creative Zen Vision M which is a great little player. But it's synced to my PC which I'm using less and less. As I've just ordered a new Macbook Pro I was thinking I could shift everything over to that and close down the PC for good. Could anyone tell me A. Is it possible to import all the files I have currently on the PC (in Windows Media Player format) and B. If so, is it a painless process? :D

Del

Copying the files over, no problem. Just use a thumb drive.

If you have unprotected WMA files, it's easy to convert them before importing them into iTunes. Use EasyWMA, it's $10 (well worth it) to convert them to AAC, MP3, AIFF ... whatever you want.

If you have DRM'd WMA files, thats more of a problem.
If you can burn them to an audio CD, great -- you can obviously import to iTunes from an audio CD.
If you can't -- well, you're pretty much up the creek on those. Lesson to learn: NEVER buy DRM's Windows Media files EVER!

(Apple use to use DRM on their audio files, but not any more -- but even then their DRM allowed CD burning, which effectively removed the DRM)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.