• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Is the Apple iPad a flop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I would pay the $499 but not any more, I mean for $999.00 you can buy a Macbook. Spending upwards of $600-$900 for an iPad is a little extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" (2009), 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid
For people that currently only own Desktops, an iPad would be ideal (atleast if they only want to do basic stuff on it).

--

I own a MacBook Pro -- but I use it to edit video, use it for projects etc....
So an iPad would be ideal for basic stuff -- I think it would also make a great device to take with you when going on vacation.

--

To me it basically is Apple's "Netbook".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
For people that currently only own Desktops, an iPad would be ideal (atleast if they only want to do basic stuff on it).

--

I own a MacBook Pro -- but I use it to edit video, use it for projects etc....
So an iPad would be ideal for basic stuff -- I think it would also make a great device to take with you when going on vacation.

--

To me it basically is Apple's "Netbook".

I agree, I will definitely buy the $499 model. I'm sure Apple will lower the prices within a few months.

Reaction score
nothing can be a flop before it's launched! there's no commercial yardstick with which to measure it is there? tsch

Reaction score
It's massive limitations re: running multiple apps, screen size/resolution, etc... are a bit of a disappointment.
It doesn't seem much more useful than an iPhone and yet it lacks the 'fits in your pocket' appeal.
I certainly won't be buying one until they're improved beyond recognition.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just how large do you expect the screen on a portable device like the iPad to be? 10" is plenty for it's intended usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Just how large do you expect the screen on a portable device like the iPad to be? 10" is plenty for it's intended usage.

Totally agree. All they need to do is patch the OS for multitasking and its good to go. I don't think this will flop as long as Apple figures out what they can do with it. I'm not sure if they want to compete with Kindle/Nook or Netbooks....heck, maybe they want to take on both markets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
When did the term pad suddenly only refer to feminine hygene products and nothing else?? It's a funny, crude joke, but it certainly doesn't make the name a flop. I do seem to recall the word "pad" being used to describe a few other things like
paper pad,
key pad (or number pad),
padlock,
mouse pad,
bachelor pad (a particularly non-female reference),
launch pad,
landing pad,
drum pad,
brake pad,
control pad,
sketch pad,
D-pad,
cooling pad,
heating pad,
wrist pad,
mattress pad,
lilly pad,
and so on and so on.

You know, I think I'm starting to see a trend here! It almost seems like the word "pad" is meant to refer to something broad and flat. And that seems to describe the iPad pretty well. Is Steve Jobs some kind of mad genius for making this association, or is the collective world of journalism pretty much like a crowd of middle school boys?

You decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
or is the collective world of journalism pretty much like a crowd of middle school boys?

You decide.

I've already decided that makes up 90% of the population including women.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think first you need to define "flop".

Reaction score
I really don't understand the draw that everyone has towards multitasking on a mobile device...it's not designed to be a workhorse, it's designed to be an extremely mobile device used for access to the web and email among other things...how often would you really even need to access two programs at the same time? I've had windows mobile devices that would "multitask" and it didn't work worth a crap, nor was it extremely useable on a small screen anyway.

Not to mention, with a 1GHz ARM, and the functionality of the iphone OS, it's just as good as multitasking. If you need to go from e-mail to web, it's two presses at best and, at least on my iPod touch, it's just as quick if not quicker that doing the same thing on my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Seems everyone that is not happy with its ability missed the big slide shot of a device
that fits beteen the phone and the computer and if it had all the features a lot of people wanted do they really think it would only cost them 499.00 and weigh only 1.5 lbs and not overheat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Who knows. I bet it will sell well. I'm not interested in owning the current version. Perhaps v2 will be more appealing. I will add that my Mother, who is a nursing professor and is starting to use tablets professionally, is kicking herself for buying a Kindle before Christmas. She now wants to switch her clinical students from the Kindle to the iPad once she gets a chance to test drive it. Point being, I'm sure there is an audience that will buy them - just not me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac - 2.8 GHz Core Extreme, 4 GB RAM, 2 TB RAID Array
Definitely will be getting the $499 one when it comes out up north. The one thing I was disappointed not to see on it was a small pen/stylus for note-taking and the like. However, this is exactly the reason Apple released it to the developers two months early. I guarantee someone will write an app that does exactly that, and when they do, the iPad will sell like hotcakes around universities.

Peace.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I wasn't going to watch the keynote last night but got sucked into it. Initially I thought I would pass on this because I already have a MacBook Pro that I take to work from time to time. My wife has talked me into getting one because:
1. My large fingers will have less trouble updating my calendar than any phone.
2. I can also do some basic word processing when needed (great interface for iWork)
3. Should sync much easier than my Centro and Missing Sync
4. Lighter than my MacBook Pro
5. 10 hour battery life gets me through most of my work day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I really don't understand the draw that everyone has towards multitasking on a mobile device...it's not designed to be a workhorse,

Agreed. The only thing I want to be able to run alongside others apps is iTunes to listen to music, and it already does that. So I'm good. So many non iPhone/Touch users don't realize this is even possible.

...The one thing I was disappointed not to see on it was a small pen/stylus for note-taking and the like. However, this is exactly the reason Apple released it to the developers two months early. I guarantee someone will write an app that does exactly that, and when they do, the iPad will sell like hotcakes around universities.

Definitely! Especially if the textbook makers get into this and offer e-textbooks for less. I wish I had this in college instead of lugging around 20 pounds of books all over campus! It would almost make me want to study...almost.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just curious, how many of those of you that are disappointed with the lack of multitasking use an iPhone or iPod Touch?

I ask because in pondering the iPad, I came to realize that the little bit of multitasking my iPod Touch does, I've never really even noticed that it doesn't. For example, Mail still runs in the background if I'm playing a game. A few of my other apps still phone home (and will send notifications). So, even if it's not full pre-emptive multitasking, I find it sufficient for that kind of a device.

Reaction score

Sorry, I meant aspect not size.
And the multi functionality isn't the be all and end all, but the iPad is being billed as an entertainment device, and if I can't listen to some tunes on last.fm at the same time as playing a game I'm not going to be nearly as entertained.
That sort of shortcoming (and it is a shortcoming) is the sort of thing I'd only be happy to accept when the device is small enough to fit in my pocket rather than in my rucksack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.