• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Is the Apple iPad a flop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Obviously, it's a total flop. Apple hasn't sold a single one!

Ha! Made me chuckle :)

Just curious, how many of those of you that are disappointed with the lack of multitasking use an iPhone or iPod Touch?

I ask because in pondering the iPad, I came to realize that the little bit of multitasking my iPod Touch does, I've never really even noticed that it doesn't. For example, Mail still runs in the background if I'm playing a game. A few of my other apps still phone home (and will send notifications). So, even if it's not full pre-emptive multitasking, I find it sufficient for that kind of a device.

This is my perspective. . . I never really payed attention to how my iPod doesn't multi-task. I never needed to.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, how many of those of you that are disappointed with the lack of multitasking use an iPhone or iPod Touch?

I ask because in pondering the iPad, I came to realize that the little bit of multitasking my iPod Touch does, I've never really even noticed that it doesn't. For example, Mail still runs in the background if I'm playing a game. A few of my other apps still phone home (and will send notifications). So, even if it's not full pre-emptive multitasking, I find it sufficient for that kind of a device.

I have used an iPhone since this time last year. There are times a bit more multitasking would have been nice.

Since I would use the iPad on the Internet for a lot more than I would use my iPhone, with certain uses it would get in the way, but I know multitasking is coming in a not too distant OS release anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
YES. I don't need a glorified iPod Touch and I don't think many people will be interested. This is going to be more of a toy than something designed for a professional market. Let's face it: A MacBook (or Axiotron Modbook Tablet) is going to be much more useful for the medical profession and so on so forth because it has a full desktop OS and allows for multitasking. Plus, you can put whatever Mac OS X compatible software you want on it. You're not stuck with the Safari Web Browser, Apple Mail, etc.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
YES. I don't need a glorified iPod Touch and I don't think many people will be interested. This is going to be more of a toy than something designed for a professional market. Let's face it: A MacBook (or Axiotron Modbook Tablet) is going to be much more useful for the medical profession and so on so forth because it has a full desktop OS and allows for multitasking. Plus, you can put whatever Mac OS X compatible software you want on it. You're not stuck with the Safari Web Browser, Apple Mail, etc.

The polls from this site seem to be pretty half and half on whether or not they would buy the iPad. There are people who are going to buy it. While it may not be used for "professional" purposes, it still has some features that are appealing to some people.

I do agree with you on that the iPad is pretty much a larger iPod Touch, and to me the product seems unfinished and is not worth 499 or whatever they are charging for the larger storage capacities.

Yes I would have loved it if they made a tablet PC, so I can could actually use it to paint and create artwork but that obviously didn't pan out. Maybe next time...>_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
About the only things I would really want to have running while I'm doing other things is music and maybe instant messaging. Music does work to an extent wit the iPod core app, but not when you're playing a game apparently (or at least not with the games I've tried it on) and not with non-core music players.

Maybe IM could work with some kind of push notification, but you would have to remain "signed in" even when the app is not running. Kind of like when someone posts to FB and you get the notificiation.

Just keep in mind that all of that multitasking will run that battery down pretty quick and heat up the tablet. Apple could at least offer it as an option with a multitask toggle in the settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I would have loved it if they made a tablet PC, so I can could actually use it to paint and create artwork but that obviously didn't pan out. Maybe next time...>_>"

You don't think a capacitive stylus and a third party app could give you what you're looking for?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
About the only things I would really want to have running while I'm doing other things is music and maybe instant messaging. Music does work to an extent wit the iPod core app, but not when you're playing a game apparently (or at least not with the games I've tried it on) and not with non-core music players.

Maybe IM could work with some kind of push notification, but you would have to remain "signed in" even when the app is not running. Kind of like when someone posts to FB and you get the notificiation.

Just keep in mind that all of that multitasking will run that battery down pretty quick and heat up the tablet. Apple could at least offer it as an option with a multitask toggle in the settings.

I think it needs more growl. ^-^"

You don't think a capacitive stylus and a third party app could give you what you're looking for?

No I don't think a third party app will be able on the professional level of Corel Painter XI, which I use as an illustrator. Unless Corel themselves released an app themselves...which is seems highly unlikely and would be watered down to the point where it just wouldn't be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
I'm so miffed at the iPad.

Who knows, maybe Apple have an awesome road map ahead and we just can't see it yet, but something smells wrong to me about this product.

Unless they totally adapt a new OS for the iPad so that it isn't dredging bits and bobs from the iPhone OS whilst trying to appease OSX at the same time I can't see it breaking any moulds. Of course, Apple might well have a sneaky trick up it's sleeve with iPhone OS 4 in that it could merge the software abilities of the iPad and iPhone together to balance them more.

I genuinely thought it would have had at least 1 USB and an SD card slot and at the very very least, a front facing camera. But of course all those things rely on either a) a different OS or b) Apple not wanting to rake in more money.

If it had a camera, SD slot and some form of new OS just for the iPad (and at launch) then I would see that it has the possibility to become huge in the future. But Apple seem so slack in doing revolutionary updates on their hardware that we are at least 3 years away from an iPad update that would add all these things.

It just seems half baked to me, it really does and I struggle to see where it's meant to be heading. It even seems as if Apple does. I hope they have some kind of master plan open for this. I seen a video on YouTube of S.Jobs talking to Walt Mossberg about the iPad and he seemed to be slow at responding to basic questions and doubts about the new device. It almost felt like he didn't know the right answers himself, which is something not often seen, even when he speaks off the cuff about Apple hardware and Software. He just seemed to lack the confidence about the product.

As for the name, I agree with the poster which listed the many differen't uses of the word pad. When the item alucnhed, I got bombarded with emails, I'm's and Facebook Messages telling me the iPad sucked and why was it named after a sanitary towel?

As if I matter! I'm not a fan boy, I just love technology and Apple happen to be a massively good technology company, so I get hammered when they announce something! odd.

So I wrote a notes on my facebook regarding my thoughts, but in one section I talked about the name given to the device. I put...

"Opposed to a lot of instant bashing, I feel that the name iPad will fade into the ether with time much like the Wii name does nothing more than evoke thoughts of a games console. After all, the name 'iPad' is not a lot different than the term 'paper pad' which, for me, neither names invoke the thought of sanitary towels. The name also bears a close relation to 'iPod' and 'iPhone'. Funny little reaction quirk to arise on the internet though."

Reaction score
It's massive limitations re: running multiple apps, screen size/resolution, etc... are a bit of a disappointment. It doesn't seem much more useful than an iPhone and yet it lacks the 'fits in your pocket' appeal. I certainly won't be buying one until they're improved beyond recognition.

Funn you mentioned "it lacks the 'fits in your pocket' appeal".

I asked my son what he thinks of the new Ipad. He instantly said, "it doesn't fit into his pocket. And, its too large to fit into my nap sack. If I want a laptop, I'd buy a laptop". Sometimes, trying to fill middle ground (re: larger then iPod and smaller then a laptop) can be a market flop. We'll see in the long run...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The only thing I multitask on is the MBP which has enough power storage and
memory to do it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Opposed to a lot of instant bashing, I feel that the name iPad will fade into the ether with time much like the Wii name does nothing more than evoke thoughts of a games console. After all, the name 'iPad' is not a lot different than the term 'paper pad' which, for me, neither names invoke the thought of sanitary towels. The name also bears a close relation to 'iPod' and 'iPhone'. Funny little reaction quirk to arise on the internet though."

I agree

Other than the fact that the television show "MadTV" made a joke of this name years ago, I really don't see why people are losing their heads and assuming the maturity level of 13 year old boys when it comes to this name. The word "pad" is very generic in nature and can be used to refer to anything that is broad and flat in shape.

It's a testamant to how immature most people are. It is very sad and makes me dislike the world I live in a little more.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with both melmation & fleurya. Very well said. Pad in itself can be many things but connected with a device that displays text and that you can write on the first thing that came to my mind with the iPad name was a Writing Pad. Maybe my age is showing a bit but more likely peoples minds are very dirty and in the gutter. Sad. It bothers me also. With some people I know I have to be so careful how I word things or they are taken in a dirty way. I rarely think in a dirty way nor talk that way either.

iPad, Writing Pad, Writing Tablet.

I can see a dirty minded Anti Apple person though calling it something dirty and degrading just to bash Apple and their products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
First, about it being a flop... dudes, it was announced, not even released for sale, three days ago. It's a silly question.

For the guys who thinks that it's 3 years away from having a USB or memory card slot, ummm, look at the accessories that Apple's offering. Their camera connection kit turns the dock connector into both of these.

Regarding multitasking, I've never once needed it on my iPhone. The apps that are most important already run in the background. The only ones that I can see any utility to running likewise are IM+ (or your client of choice) and Pastebot, but overall it's not a huge issue for me. I could easily deal with a computer that only did one thing at a time.

In fact, I have single-window mode turned on on my netbook, as managing windows on a device that size is unwieldy - no problems doing that. I'm intending to replace that netbook with an iPad as soon as I'm able. With it's ability to do everything that I do with my netbook (email, browsing, writing, projecting presentations) even better, I consider it a no-brainer.

On the bigger issue of what this device, and others like it that are coming, mean for the industry, I agree with many of the bloggers out there who are calling it the beginning of a new era. While one can't do hugely professional tasks on devices like this now (Dreamweaver, Aperture, etc), I have no doubt that this will become possible in the future as hardware improves. There is no reason whatsoever that the desktop metaphor of computing is in any way ideal for doing professional, workhorse tasks. This paradigm has been around for nigh on 25 years - it's simply that tech-heads are used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree totally. A suped up laptop of the future (heck even a MBP now) can be a desktop replacement + be portable too. But no matter how good a desktop is, it can not be a notebook replacement at all. And my point is people are saying how the ipad is the new netbook. But wait till v3 of the ipad when it has a faster cpu, and all of the features people want like USB, true multi tasking, camera, faster cpu, and other things. Then what is stopping it being the new Mac Mini.

I think this is Apple's long term strategy. Today the netbook market, tomorrow the Mac Mini/low end desktop market. I don't think the ipad, be it v1 or v3 being the death of the desktop for the home user. But I think it's the first step in that direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The market has shown one thing no matter what brand or OS mobility or portability sells.

Reaction score
The name itself is a flop, the product? I doubt it.

Apple could release toilet paper and sell it for $30 a roll and it would still be a success...

All credit in the world to them for becoming the marketing giant that they are though...

However, the device definitely has it's user base that will find it useful. I'm just not one of them. I can definitely see the potential of this device however, and I'm excited to see what future generations look like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If history with Apple has taught us anything don't expect too many advances in 2nd or 3rd generation iPad. Look at the iPhone other than a faster processor,3MP camera and 3G (quality which is debatable in the U.S.) there have not been many improvements (Hardware wise)

I wouldn't get my hopes up about the next iPad being much of an improvement.
As I have stated before the $499 model is right up my alley.
Spending $800 on an iPad seems ridiculous to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the guys who thinks that it's 3 years away from having a USB or memory card slot, ummm, look at the accessories that Apple's offering. Their camera connection kit turns the dock connector into both of these.

Spot-on about the card reader, though I'm sure it will be limited in function. You can probably use it to load files onto your iPad, but it probably can't function as storage expansion. That would eat into Apple's sales of the larger capacity models.

It's annoying, but Apple is in the business to make money. Can't fault them for that.

Lex

Reaction score
if there will be an app available for drawing it is more then worth it... those things cost by itself more the 400$. So a little extra for some sleek design and a lot of extra features on it is totally worth it. Not to mention that for 30$ a month you have unlimited internet access anywhere... So no it is not a flop. A name like iSlate might have been better though.

-Alec

Lex

Reaction score
I agree

Other than the fact that the television show "MadTV" made a joke of this name years ago, I really don't see why people are losing their heads and assuming the maturity level of 13 year old boys when it comes to this name. The word "pad" is very generic in nature and can be used to refer to anything that is broad and flat in shape.

It's a testamant to how immature most people are. It is very sad and makes me dislike the world I live in a little more.

Immature and ignorant. That is how I would describe 90% of the internet community.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.