15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now that all of the January 27, 2010 announcements are over...here are my 15 reasons for considering the purchase of the new iPad.

Firstly...I think Apple is trying to create a new product category with the iPad...that fits somewhere in between an iPod Touch/iPhone and a laptop. I don't think that it's Apple's intention for the iPad to be a laptop replacement....although for what most people do with their laptops (e-mail & internet)...it certainly could be a laptop replacement.

The iPad is like many different devices wrapped up into one, and could be a replacement for many electronic & non-electronic devices that folks commonly use:

1. It's a PDA replacement...similar to an iPod Touch or iPhone.
2. With the large display & almost full sized "keyboard"...it could replace an old-fashioned spiral-bound paper "planner" that many folks in the corporate world still carry with them.
3. Since the iPad is flat...you could actually use it as a "pen & paper" replacement for taking notes in meetings or college classes (if you're a fast typer)!
4. For some folks the iPad could be a "laptop replacement"...since many folks 95% of the time only use their laptop for e-mail & internet surfing.
5. The iPad could be a "Kindle replacement". The Kindle DX sells for $489...and the iPad (starting at $499) is WAYYY more capable.
6. The iPad 3G could be a "GPS replacement". With the iPad's mapping program & 3G connectivity...it should be able to act like a GPS.
7. The iPad could be used as a phone. The iPad 3G certainly has bluetooth. So you could use wireless headphones or an ear bud to talk on the iPad. Who knows...since you wouldn't put the iPad to your ear to talk...the 2nd Generation iPad may have a camera...turning the iPad into a "Video Phone".
8. The iPad is really really fast! Like the iPod Touch & iPhone...turning it on you get an instant "desktop" (faster than a laptop), and it turns off equally fast. And launching & closing "apps" is really really fast. Way faster than a laptop hard drive. Without any "lag-time"...it is very very convenient for those quick:

- google searches
- quick phone number lookups
- quick driving direction lookups
- restaurant address lookups
- etc.

...that you might do when you're "rushing out the door" somewhere.

9. The iPad is more "space" convenient than a laptop. Its thinner & lighter than a laptop...thus lightening the load in a backpack. The "flat" iPad is much more "tabletop friendly" (if you're sitting across from someone at a table, the traditional laptop screen isn't blocking someone from seeing you. So the iPad is a more "socially friendly" device as well. And the iPad is much more chair or couch friendly!
10. What about "heat generation"?...possibly the end of "burned thigh syndrome"...or BTS!;)
11. What about the rotating vertical vs. horizontal viewing ability (similar to the iPod Touch or iPhone)?...can't do that with a laptop!
12. What about the up to 10 hour battery life! This means that it could be used at work all day without needing to be recharged. Again...making it very useable as a PDA, planner, and/or paper & pencil note taking replacement.
13.. How about the starting price of $499? I mean come on...$499 for a 9.5" touch screen device that does everything the iPad can do...$499 is a really really attractive price-point.
14. Did I mention that at a starting price of $499...couldn't the iPad be a "Mac-mini Killer"! Why the heck would you buy a Mac-Mini...that still needs a display, mouse, and keyboard!!!
15. What about gaming. This thing could be one heck of a gaming device. Certainly a possible "Nintendo DS or a Sony PSP replacement"!

I will mention that there are some downsides to the 1st generation iPad:

1. It's size isn't as convenient as the iPod Touch or iPhone. But then again the large display is a BIG asset as well!
2. It doesn't seem to be "multi-tasking" capable. But then with the iPad's speed...is multi-tasking necessary? It would be nice to be able to have both a browser & e-mail open at the same time.
3. It would be nice to have a camera.

But like many Apple products (iPods, iPod Touch's, iPhones, etc.)...the 2nd & 3rd generation iPads may correct any serious short-coming's. I definitely see an iPad in my or my families future!:)

Just my 2 cents (maybe 3 or 4 cents in this case);),

- Nick

p.s. I apologize for the really really long post. I know some of us with short attention spans find long posts tiresome sometimes!;)

p.p.s. Hopefully I posted this in the correct category. The iPad is so new...it could fit into multiple Mac-Forums categories. Admins...please move this post if it fits better somewhere else. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1. It's size isn't as convenient as the iPod Touch or iPhone. But then again the large display is a BIG asset as well!

I like your way of thinking. Its quite a good list for the FOR ....
Being a inconvenient size, i am just wondering if the Jean makers out there will be bringing out jeans, with a 9.5" pockets ;P

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I will undoubtedly be one of the first in line for the iPad.
Anyone who reads my posts knows I'm no fanboy.

But this device really is pretty much exactly what I've been awaiting for the last 2 years. I don't want a mini notebook. I've been wanting a single slab, hold in one hand device the size of a book, in color, to take the place of this hot MBP that sits in my lap 4-6 hours a day while lounging in my recliner. Wasn't looking for something to totally take the place of my notebook or desktop. But something that will do 80-90% of the things I spend my time doing on my computers.

I've been eyeing the Kindle DX for awhile and just not been quite willing to push the buy button, primarily due to no color. I see this device as a possible Kindle killer. My wife has a Kindle that I borrow on occasion. She's already asked if she can sell her Kindle and get one of these. I think it will handle about 99% of what she does on her MB and Kindle combined.

Oooh, comic books and graphic novels, in color, on an ebook reader. (Yeah, this 60 yr old gets into those too.) Personally, I can't wait. All I gotta do now is figure out how to come up with the cash to buy one (or two).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I like it for $499, But anything more and I can buy a Macbook. I would be willing to bet that in a couple of months Apple will lower the price.

I was just checking online at $499 that's only $150 more than your average Netbook. I gotta give it to Apple it's really affordable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Bobtomay I couldnt agree more. The last thing I want to do is replace my Macbook ( except maybe with a MBP) But this device will do 90% of the things I do with a computer.
I am not a power user as many here are , I dont edit anything except some of my posts here , I dont create music or much of anything for that matter. I surf the web , I email a lot and I do both of those from my couch 80% of the time . And its just not that much to have fun have the Macbook on my lap that much so I find myself using my Iphone for much of it.
Ill buy the iPad and am looking forward to doing so . Finally a product that really fits my usage.

Just my thoughts
Clay

Oh and dont forget those 2-3 hour IRC sessions on sunday nights , how cool will that be ?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I think I'll be saving some money to get myself one of these bad boys. May not be until summer, but I start college then so it would be perfect timing ;)

Reaction score
Right now - I think it's a Kindle-Killer, but in the next

year or so, I think this thing will become more. Right now it's just an over-sized iPod Touch so that iBooks can bring reading a book to it's users. That's 90% of what's new about this thing right now.

Pen & Pad. I don't think they named it iPad for nothing. There's going to be some kind of pen or something more than your finger to take notes with and scribble. I don't think the built-in keyboard is going to be fast enough to beat writing.

Leave it to Apple to revolutionize writing. (not another Newton) but they will come up with something. - I think the keyboard to Apple is like physical media - they don't like physical media like CD's or CD drives, etc. The virtual keyboard doesn't have long to live either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
year or so, I think this thing will become more. Right now it's just an over-sized iPod Touch so that iBooks can bring reading a book to it's users. That's 90% of what's new about this thing right now.

Pen & Pad. I don't think they named it iPad for nothing. There's going to be some kind of pen or something more than your finger to take notes with and scribble. I don't think the built-in keyboard is going to be fast enough to beat writing.

Leave it to Apple to revolutionize writing. (not another Newton) but they will come up with something. - I think the keyboard to Apple is like physical media - they don't like physical media like CD's or CD drives, etc. The virtual keyboard doesn't have long to live either.

At $499 it's a really good deal considering it blows all netbooks out of the water, Also it's officially the cheapest Apple Computer you can buy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Before I say this let it be known I do not like Netbooks very much and not a fan of the Netbook at all. But...

A netbook gives me USB ports, a Wired RJ-45 Network port. I need a small machine to take with me on Network service calls. The iPad would not do what I need. I need to instantly read in text files from a flash drive, plug into routers to set them up. The Netbook a friend gave me does all of that and is very small and easy to tote along with me to the job. So that is one use for a netbook that I can not use an iPad for.

For typical home usage I do agree the iPad will blow down the Netbook though. Real deal breaker right now is NO MULTITASKING! I can't play music while I am surfing? I hope that gets changed very fast.

I guess we won't know the answer to this question till people get their hands on the iPad but I wonder how you get a textFile, Doc or whatever to the device? It's all supposed to be handled by iTunes but right now there is no option I know of to sync text or Doc files . On my iPhone I have had to Email attached text files so I can get them into my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
For typical home usage I do agree the iPad will blow down the Netbook though. Real deal breaker right now is NO MULTITASKING! I can't play music while I am surfing? I hope that gets changed very fast.

I would suspect Apple would be smart enough to allow the music to be played in the background. But I do agree, with a device like that, there needs to be multi-tasking. Because of touch screen and large screen size, there should be enough real-esate for apps to be downsized to an iPhone/iPod's screen size, so you can run multiple (maybe only 2 or 3 at a time, but it's better than nothing) apps side-by-side.

Actually, that would be a neat feature, to be able to re-size and move your apps around on the desktop environment, somewhat like exposé, but with a twist ;)

Reaction score
5 reasons not to buy it..

NO USB
NO Card Reader
NO Multi-tasker
NO Internal DVD
NO Connectivity to external drives.

It's just a BIG iphone, nothing more, nothing less. What a wasted opportunity to do something truly innovative.

I would bet my mortgage that if Steve Wozniak designed this it would have been a different story...

But if you are on the market for a Kindle, then get an ipad instead!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I guess some investors do not like the iPad.

Yes I just saw that story as well...Apple stock down 4% (12:34pm EST) after yesterday's iPad announcement.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I just saw that story as well...Apple stock down 4% (12:34pm EST) after yesterday's iPad announcement.

- Nick

part of that could be because there were no iPhone announcements yesterday as a lot of people speculated it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I wish you people would stop talking about the iPad being a "phone." It isn't. There is no way you an make or receive a call on it. It is not a phone. In fact, if you buy the 3g version, you'll undoubtedly find that even VOIP has been blocked by your carrier. If I'm wrong about this, please explain the phone function to me. I'd really like to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I wish you people would stop talking about the iPad being a "phone." It isn't. There is no way you an make or receive a call on it. It is not a phone. In fact, if you buy the 3g version, you'll undoubtedly find that even VOIP has been blocked by your carrier. If I'm wrong about this, please explain the phone function to me. I'd really like to know.

Thank you George ! I've said this as well and just don't get why people keep saying iPhone ?! It's NOT A PHONE people ! lol.

I also think that it is an extremely NICHE product for now. I liked Bobtomay's reasoning for wanting to get it, as there is logic in the purchase for his needs. At the same time however, I think the other segment falls in line with dTravis' line of thinking (my self included).

I mean yeah, it's a cool device if you ONLY do one task at a time, and all you care about is simple web browsing and showing off jpg's and email and calender events etc.. For that simple stuff, it's a very pretty device and will deliver. Yea yeah.. and the silly app games too. One more thing about the web browsing experience, with Flash in mind. Stupid. Steve Jobs knows that a big percentage of his user base are professional artists. The word artist encompassing graphic arts, photography etc.. There are far too many photographers whose websites are Flash based. And whether we like that or not, it's something that is going to change just because Steve Job's wants it to. And I refuse to support a device which ignores this basic premise. The iPhone is a slightly different case with me though, since I would never browse a photography site on a silly iPhone screen.

I think the price is ok.. but to be honest, should be cheaper by at least $100. If it had a standard screen like every other net book out there, it would have to be a $300 device, because it doesn't do ANYTHING that a net book can't do, except meet "appstore" compatibility standards. But then, we're talking proprietary stuff.

I do think that the iPad would be something my wife would like, but not in its current state. Were it to have an video camera, be able to multi task (listen to music while preparing multiple excel, powerpoint and Word documents.. does it even run those things ?) and provide at least ONE USB port and an ethernet port.. then it might be worth considering.

Version 2, perhaps. We'll see, but doubting it.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
part of that could be because there were no iPhone announcements yesterday as a lot of people speculated it.

Yes it's quite possible that the Apple stock price is down because as you said...a lot of new product or updated product announcements that folks were hoping for did not happen.

Another reason could be. Maybe a lot of folks wanted to purchase the iPad immediately...and having to wait 60-90 days for them to ship may have been disappointing.:(

But then again...maybe Apple stock will close higher by the end of the day.:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the price is ok.. but to be honest, should be cheaper by at least $100. If it had a standard screen like every other net book out there, it would have to be a $300 device, because it doesn't do ANYTHING that a net book can't do, except meet "appstore" compatibility standards. But then, we're talking proprietary stuff.

I don't completely disagree with what you said...but remember that the iPad's display compared to a netbook display:

- the iPad display is an IPS panel (a high quality panel compared to other LCD displays)
- the iPad's display is LED backlit which also improves color quality.
- the iPad's display is a "Multi-Touch" display...this is a lot more expensive than the traditional LCD display on a Netbook.

So just these three features relating to the iPad's display certainly justifies a higher cost for the iPad vs.a Netbook.

Like you said...if the iPad had a "standard screen" like other Netbook's...then the iPad would have to be a $300 dollar device. But then without the "multi-touch screen" the iPad wouldn't be an iPad!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't completely disagree with what you said...but remember that the iPad's display compared to a netbook display:

- the iPad display is an IPS panel (a high quality panel compared to other LCD displays)
- the iPad's display is LED backlit which also improves color quality.
- the iPad's display is a "Multi-Touch" display...this is a lot more expensive than the traditional LCD display on a Netbook.

So just these three features relating to the iPad's display certainly justifies a higher cost for the iPad vs.a Netbook.

Like you said...if the iPad had a "standard screen" like other Netbook's...then the iPad would have to be a $300 dollar device. But then without the "multi-touch screen" the iPad wouldn't be an iPad!:)

- Nick

Yeah. It justifies the cost because IPS LED's aren't cheap by any means. But in terms of the iPad being a productivity tool, it isn't justified AT ALL. It's great having this nice screen and all, but let's not pretend that we don't know what Apple is really doing, which is focusing its efforts on selling iTunes music, video game apps and iTUnes movies to the droning masses, rather than innovating a machine which could be a lot more like an MacBook in terms of features and being a real productivity tool, with the ability to be as nice looking and feeling as an iPad.

Were this thing running a lite version of OS X, I'd be all over it. And don't think for one second that it's not capable of running better software. Again.. planned obsolescence at its best.

Doug

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's great having this nice screen and all, but let's not pretend that we don't know what Apple is really doing, which is focusing its efforts on selling iTunes music, video game apps and iTUnes movies to the droning masses, rather than innovating a machine which could be a lot more like an MacBook in terms of features and being a real productivity tool, with the ability to be as nice looking and feeling as an iPad.

No disagreement here!:) Apple is definitely out to make more money...and develop new "revenue streams"...other than the traditional selling hardware & OS software ways to make money.

Yes iTunes (mp3's), "Apps" from the i-Tunes store, and i-Books...are definitely ways Apple is trying to generate more sales.

Also consider, in order to "kick-start" more iTunes Store sales for the iPad (mp3's, apps, and iBooks) & get the iPad in the hands of more customers...Apple may even be selling the low end iPad ($499) at a price lower than they might have otherwise. Just a theory.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.