Connecting two macs

D

debbe1

I have broadband internet thru Charter. I am told I need a router to connect my 2 macs. OK, I am new at this. What is a router and where do I get one?

OP
E

EvoMac

Linksys is pretty much the one used by large numbers. It's very easy to setup. Connection label internet is where you plug your cable modem network cable. Connection 1 plug in mac 1, connection 2 mac 2

This is the wireless version if one of those has a airport card built in or a external wireless card:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

This is the wired only version of the router
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=3906544&type=product&id=1051384171495

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
router

Also see bridge , gateway , hub , and switch .

In packet-switched networks such as the Internet, a router is a device or, in some cases, software in a computer, that determines the next network point to which a packet should be forwarded toward its destination. The router is connected to at least two networks and decides which way to send each information packet based on its current understanding of the state of the networks it is connected to. A router is located at any gateway (where one network meets another), including each point-of-presence on the Internet. A router is often included as part of a network switch.

A router may create or maintain a table of the available routes and their conditions and use this information along with distance and cost algorithms to determine the best route for a given packet. Typically, a packet may travel through a number of network points with routers before arriving at its destination. Routing is a function associated with the Network layer (layer 3) in the standard model of network programming, the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model. A layer-3 switch is a switch that can perform routing functions.

An edge router is a router that interfaces with an asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) network. A brouter is a network bridge combined with a router.

For home and business computer users who have high-speed Internet connections such as cable, satellite, or DSL, a router can act as a hardware firewall. This is true even if the home or business has only one computer. Many engineers believe that the use of a router provides better protection against hacking than a software firewall, because no computer Internet Protocol address are directly exposed to the Internet. This makes port scans (a technique for exploring weaknesses) essentially impossible. In addition, a router does not consume computer resources as a software firewall does. Commercially manufactured routers are easy to install, reasonably priced, and available for hard-wired or wireless networks.

Source: searchnetworking.com

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There are many difference routers you can use. I have the second one EvoMac suggested as my wired network. I also have the D-Link Xtreme G wireless router.

OP
E

EvoMac

I just got the same router RMAN, as of right now I must say there is much hate between the dlink and I. The virtual server setup for my pcanywhere & osx vnc setup is yet to work even though I setup the correct ports and trigger the right LAN ip address.

OP
D

debbe1

router

EvoMac said:
Linksys is pretty much the one used by large numbers. It's very easy to setup. Connection label internet is where you plug your cable modem network cable. Connection 1 plug in mac 1, connection 2 mac 2

This is the wireless version if one of those has a airport card built in or a external wireless card:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

This is the wired only version of the router
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=3906544&type=product&id=1051384171495

I looked up the wired version, Linksys EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router.
I noticed another of the same name but with V.2 on the end of the description. Does that matter?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.