iPad's Hard Drive able to be partitioned for Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
When I saw the iPad today I was extremely excited but slightly let down because I was hoping it was going to be able to run Snow Leopard or a modified version of it and it, of course, did not. I would still like an iPad and I guarantee that I will purchase one because I am a Apple fanatic, but I am stuck between purchasing a 16gb or a 64gb version. If the hard drive was able to be partitioned for Snow Leopard, I would purchase the 64gb. If not I would go for the 16gb. So my question is if the iPad's Hard Drive will be able to be partitioned for Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why don't you compromise and settle for the 32GB version?

As for your question, nobody will really know until it's released. However, if I had to guess, I'd say no.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iPad has no real hard drive in the traditional sense. I would bet that Snow Leopard would not install nor run. There is no way that i can see for that to happen.

Reaction score
I dont think you should go for any of those 16 32 or 64gb for now at least.
First, i'm new here, and i'm really like the idea and way of how apple making their products.
For me, ipad this time is not worth of buying. There will be next and next generations of ipad in the future just like iphone and ipods. They make you keep up with their new invention. They'll put camera on the ipad, they will bump up the hard drive and obviously they will drop the price since there are many competitive products out there with its haft of the price etc... There will be numbers of issues and problem for this very new born device. If this does not bother you to buy at all, just wait until the real ipad will come out (the one packed with all feature for the money).
Hope this could help some apple victims out there somehow.

Reaction score
Take between! 32gb is good.
As a Tablet computer, you won't store stuff on it as much as the macbook. And 16gb, somehow is too small for a computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is if the iPad's Hard Drive will be able to be partitioned for Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Two misconception's here:

- The iPad does not have a hard drive. It has "flash ram" just like the iPhone & iPod Touch.

- The iPad doesn't run OS X. It will run a special "OS" similar to the iPhone & iPod Touch.

The iPad is really just an iPod Touch or an iPhone on steroids!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
First, i'm new here, and i'm really like the idea and way of how apple making their products.
For me, ipad this time is not worth of buying. There will be next and next generations of ipad in the future just like iphone and ipods. They make you keep up with their new invention. They'll put camera on the ipad, they will bump up the hard drive and obviously they will drop the price since there are many competitive products out there with its haft of the price etc... There will be numbers of issues and problem for this very new born device. If this does not bother you to buy at all, just wait until the real ipad will come out (the one packed with all feature for the money).
Sooo...be sure to hang onto that buggy whip...they still might make a better horseless carriage. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Also, I know that you can partition flash memory as in a flash drive. So if there is NAND Flash memory in the ipad, wouldn't there be the possibility of someone partitioning it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OS X runs on the PPC and/or Intel architecture. For it to run on the chip in the iPad someone will have to modify the code to run on the new architecture of it's chip. I'd say, not too likely.

The only victims will be those that allow their emotional enthusiasm with all things Apple (aka fanboys) over rule their own thought processes as to whether the iPad fills a niche they want/need to be filled.

Reaction score
AFAIK, the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch all run cut down versions of OS X Leopard, which Apple originally wrote to run on Intel & PowerPC processors and then customized to run on Atom processors. Whether Apple will customize a version of Snow Leopard for Atom processors is questionable. What would they gain by doing so? They haven't even made a PowerPC version of Snow Leopard.

"OS X runs on the PPC and/or Intel architecture. For it to run on the chip in the iPad someone will have to modify the code to run on the new architecture of it's chip. I'd say, not too likely."

Quote:
Originally Posted by daica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
For me, ipad this time is not worth of buying. There will be next and next generations of ipad in the future just like iphone and ipods.

That's the worst logic of all time to use when determining to buy something. There will ALWAYS be the next "new" version coming. If you followed your own advice, you'd never buy anything.

If the device fits the needs you have right now and in the foreseeable future, then buy the product.

If you want for the "next" one, you'll always be waiting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.