Macbook Pro & Wireless Keyboard - Interchangeable keys ?

Reaction score
Hey there.

I am contemplating getting a macbook pro, the only dealbreaker is the black keyboard. I just don't like it at all. Now I don't have access to either the Macbook Pro or the Apple Wireless Keyboard, but they seem to have the exact key layout. Can anyone with access to both please confirm if those keys are interchangeable ? I don't care about losing the backlight feature. (speaking of which, can the backlight be disabled ?)

Muchos Gracias !

Reaction score
I can't answer your question but have 2 post what came into my head when I read this.

Wow!! I fell in love with the backlight keyboard feature. I thought that everyone would love it and u want 2 turn it off. I'm just curious of why u don't even like the black keys (which I think are black because of the backlight feature)

If you don't like those features why not just buy a regular macbook and u will lose the features that you don't want anyways.

OP
N
Reaction score
Because the combination of black and silver is the exact nondescript color combination that 99% of the cheap non-apple products have. The way apple is slowly letting go of the white that was timeless and distinguished is scary. Design-wise, they are moving in the wrong direction.

In a way it seems they are confused - the iMac's keyboard - featuring single block of aluminium with the white keys is the exact sweet spot of apple's design, but they pair it with the combination of aluminium and black ?

They are doing this because silver and black sells more than white, but that doesn't mean it's better. Companies like Sony, Toshiba or Samsung, whose designs are driven by customer demand and quantity production don't care about distinguishable design and timelessness, But apple always did. I just makes me sad.

If the keys are interchangeable though, I'm gonna get the anti-glare macbook pro, swap the keys and thus get rid of the black.

Come on, nobody has their macbook pro paired with the wireless keyboard ? Just plop out the keys of each one and see if they fit ! How hard is that ?

Reaction score
Because the combination of black and silver is the exact nondescript color combination that 99% of the cheap non-apple products have. The way apple is slowly letting go of the white that was timeless and distinguished is scary. Design-wise, they are moving in the wrong direction.

In a way it seems they are confused - the iMac's keyboard - featuring single block of aluminium with the white keys is the exact sweet spot of apple's design, but they pair it with the combination of aluminium and black ?

They are doing this because silver and black sells more than white, but that doesn't mean it's better. Companies like Sony, Toshiba or Samsung, whose designs are driven by customer demand and quantity production don't care about distinguishable design and timelessness, But apple always did. I just makes me sad.

If the keys are interchangeable though, I'm gonna get the anti-glare macbook pro, swap the keys and thus get rid of the black.

Come on, nobody has their macbook pro paired with the wireless keyboard ? Just plop out the keys of each one and see if they fit ! How hard is that ?

Seriously? You want someone to take apart their macbook pro just to answer your question?? How about this, YOU go buy the macbook pro and the keyboard and do it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
or swap your MBP with my MB.
My only gripe with this is no back-lit keyboard, and white keys which are a pain to keep clean:Evil:

Reaction score
I had the White Macbook and it was a pain to keep clean and to be honest the plastic white made it look like a toy to an extent. Not to mention all of the problems it had with the palmrests cracking. But seriously why not just buy a regular macbook? isn't it still white with white keys? seems 2 me that is what u are looking for.

OP
N
Reaction score
Seriously? You want someone to take apart their macbook pro just to answer your question?? How about this, YOU go buy the macbook pro and the keyboard and do it yourself.

Taking a key out of the keyboard is hardly taking apart. It's a pretty common thing to do once in a while to clean the crap that gets in the keyboard. The keyboards are designed to allow you to do this.

I won't get a Macbook because it's not powerful enough for my work, why else would I consider Macbook Pro ?

I had the White Macbook and it was a pain to keep clean
white keys which are a pain to keep clean

Those white keys look dirty because they are *not* clean. Do you prefer black keys so that you can keep them dirty ? Ew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
actually, I prefer silver keys more than black keys..... but, the white also discolors a lot easier, as too the difficult to clean porous casing around the keys, and when they have the slightest spec of dirt, they look really bad.
ps. and well done on your 3 post LOL

Reaction score
I won't get a Macbook because it's not powerful enough for my work, why else would I consider Macbook Pro ?

the base model macbook pro 13" has the same specs as the white macbook. And what type of work do u do because I do video editing as well as audio recordings and I was doing that on a 2008 model white macbook. So saying that it can't handle that is not a valid statement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.