Restart apps in proper space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Making apps auto start at power on/reboot is easily done by adding them to the Login Items section of the System Preferences Accounts. But, they all pile up in the first space.

Anybody know how to specify a particular space when they are autostarted? From googling, it appears that it is possible with Applescript (which is a really weird scripting language), but so far I haven't figured it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Works for me

I have a third party calendar app that loads at startup. In my Expose and Spaces pane in System Prefs, I have that app set to Space 3 and it always appears there.

Are you saying that your apps are set in Spaces, but on startup, they don't "obey"?

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a third party calendar app that loads at startup. In my Expose and Spaces pane in System Prefs, I have that app set to Space 3 and it always appears there.

Are you saying that your apps are set in Spaces, but on startup, they don't "obey"?

Yes. For instance, I usually put Adium in the upper right Space, and Mail in the lower right with Opera in the middle upper. (I have 9 spaces).

I have them autostart using the Login Items section and they restart on boot just fine, but they always all wind up in the upper left default Space on top of one another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So what u are saying is that if u set it up as shown here, on starting up this app would show in space 1;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's weird. Since there isn't a specific plist file for Spaces, I suppose you're left with trying to "repair" or "rebuild" the one for System Preferences. And, you could always test Spaces and Login Items in another user account. Short of reinstalling the OS, I'm not sure what else to try.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what u are saying is that if u set it up as shown here, on starting up this app would show in space 1;

Yes. No matter what I set up, all apps start up in space 1 (on reboot).

However, some more info. I tried it on a friend's laptop, running Leopard, and it worked like it is supposed to. Set up the applications in System Preferences/Spaces and they restart where they were told to.

So, it is a problem with my factory installed Snow Leopard. Which is only a month old and hasn't been tinkered with by me (OS wise) in any way, except to download updates a couple of times.

Hmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... you're left with trying to "repair" or "rebuild" the (plist file) for System Preferences. And, you could always test Spaces and Login Items in another user account.

Did that make sense?

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did that make sense?

Great shot! That was it, although I had to do some fairly heavy grepping to find it. Googling aways placed it in some other subdirectory, so apparently it moved with 10.6.

FYI, it is in the Library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist file. I deleted the workspaces-app-bindings row then logged out. When I logged in it recreated the row and it is now working.

Now as to what happened to create the problem - who knows?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're welcome, but are probably giving me too much credit. (a little "credit" is fine) I'm actually surprised that it was the Dock's plist file that was hosed. Why does that have anything to do with Spaces? Oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.