Low Resolution External Monitor (Samsung HDTV)

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro and I'm using a mini display port cable to VGA on the back of my 26" Samsung TV. It looks fairly decent at 1366 x 768 resolution, but it doesn't look anywhere nearly as good as it could.

I know this is an issue with the TV and not the computer, and that the TV will only allow that resolution.

So my question is, is there ANY way to increase resolution some other way? Whether it be using a different type of connecting cable to input on the TV (such as HDMI) or some kind of box that I could hook up. (I've tried forcing it by using such programs as DisplayConfigX and FixResX, but those didn't work.) Or do I have to get a new TV to get higher resolutions?

Thank you for any help/info.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The bottom line is you're not going to get any better than the native resolution the Samsung is capable of. Check your owner's manual to see what that is.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.