A few questions from a new MacBook owner.

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first Mac ever.

First of all, a few specific questions. I actually bought a white MacBook that is 2 years old (MacBook4,2) with Leopard and a Snow Leopard install disk.

1. Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard? From what I've read, there are performance improvements. However, I've also heard that laptops that wasn't preinstalled with Snow Leopard will run slow once it is installed.

2. When I used the OS disk to install Leopard, did I format the disk and clean everything? Here is the whole story. The seller reinstalled the OS, but in French, which I do not want. When I first opened the machine, it would let me create an account and go through all the process which is normal for a newly installed OS. Since I wanted in English, I put in the disk and chose Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software. It asked to restart and then started installing everything. During the installation, I got to choose English, but it didn't ask me to create a new account which I would expect in a fresh installation. After the installation, the account I created was still there. I'm now worried that the old files (like the French files) are still there because I have more than 17GB of used HD space and I don't think I have iLife installed, although I'm not sure because I don't know where to check. How do I make a clean installation?

3. Here is a more vague question. I'm very savvy with Windows. I know about GPOs, OUs, active directories, domain controllers, NTFS permissions, and will know in the near future pretty much everything needed to be a network administrator. I've also been using Windows since Windows 3.0, so I know how to get the most out of them. With the Mac, I feel like I'm lost in the wood, completely naked and I do not like it. Would you recommend a few books to get as savvy with a Mac?

P.S. What's with the one button touchpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
1. An upgrade couldn't hurt. You'll regain some HDD space and get a couple of new features.
2. Typically you really have to know what you're doing to format when you install SL. The default is a simple upgrade.
3. The _________for Dummies series is a great resource.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, I just found out in the installation process, there is this disk utility which lets you format the disk before installation.

Edit: I just discovered the erase and install option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
1. I like Snow Leopard. I always thought Leopard was a little bloated. The best time for you to try SL is now since you don't have anything really to lose after reinstalling the OS. If you end up not like SL then you can install Leopard.

3. You can learn the basics for free on Apple's website: switch101 and mac101. As for books I've heard the Mac Missing Manual series is a good book.

Apple likes one button mice and touchpads but they are better about two buttons with their newer laptops. You can either get any USB two button mouse, press Control+Mouse Click, or on the newer notebooks you can set the left and right side of the touchpad to divide into two buttons or do a two finger click for right clicking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I've never had a problem with a single button mouse. I actually like them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 5 buttons on my gaming mouse and still find there isn't enough. Well, its good that I'm using the Mac for work only.
You can use a mouse with more than 2 buttons. You just have to make sure the manufacturer has Mac software for it or in other words made sure it is Mac compatible. A basic two button mouse works on both Windows and Macs without additional software but the fancy mice need software/drivers.

Some people prefer one button. Some prefer more. I prefer options. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
1. I like Snow Leopard. I always thought Leopard was a little bloated. The best time for you to try SL is now since you don't have anything really to lose after reinstalling the OS. If you end up not like SL then you can install Leopard.

3. You can learn the basics for free on Apple's website: switch101 and mac101. As for books I've heard the Mac Missing Manual series is a good book.

Apple likes one button mice and touchpads but they are better about two buttons with their newer laptops. You can either get any USB two button mouse, press Control+Mouse Click, or on the newer notebooks you can set the left and right side of the touchpad to divide into two buttons or do a two finger click for right clicking.

on the old ones i think you can still do 2 finger tap to right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi, this is my first Mac ever.

First of all, a few specific questions. I actually bought a white MacBook that is 2 years old (MacBook4,2) with Leopard and a Snow Leopard install disk.

1. Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard? From what I've read, there are performance improvements. However, I've also heard that laptops that wasn't preinstalled with Snow Leopard will run slow once it is installed.

Definitely upgrade to Snow Leopard. The rumor about it running slower if not preinstalled is utter hogwash.

When I bought my first Mac Powerbook 7 or 8 years ago, I frowned on the single-button design, but figured it was no big deal. Control-clicking worked well enough, and in some situations it proved easier to use. It wasn't until about 3 years later that I finally saw it Apple's way completely… I was trying to use someone's Dell laptop and I kept accidentally hitting the right-click button, which was really ticking me off. There's no way I'd ever use anything but a Mac laptop now, especially the one I have now with the newer style of trackpad doubling as the button. If you have the multi-touch trackpad, here's a tutorial on using it:
Apple Portables: Using the Multi-Touch glass trackpad

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, the one button pad is pretty much a question of habits. Since I've been using a 2 buttons pad from my other laptops, having only 1 button is an inconvenience.

Anyway, I've started reading Switching to the Mac, the Missing Manual and hopefully the book is much more advanced than Switch 101 which explains stuff that I can pretty much figure out by myself. I'll probably read a book on Mac servers later. I'm a real control freak when it comes to computers. A default place for documents and downloads might be convenient for most users, but to me, that is highly unorganized.

Oh, by the way, I just installed the iPhone SDK and was expecting to be able to choose the folder. Well, at least I got to choose the disk, but after the installation, I had to get help to find where I should go to open Xcode. Needless to say that the control freak in my was well... freaking out.

P.S. I just discovered the 2 fingers scrolling on the touchpad, which I think is a superior design to the scrolling system on PC touchpads. I've also set up file sharing with my other Windows computers yay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Anyway, I've started reading Switching to the Mac, the Missing Manual and hopefully the book is much more advanced than Switch 101 which explains stuff that I can pretty much figure out by myself. I'll probably read a book on Mac servers later. I'm a real control freak when it comes to computers. A default place for documents and downloads might be convenient for most users, but to me, that is highly unorganized.

So put them where you like. There's no reason why you can't.

Oh, by the way, I just installed the iPhone SDK and was expecting to be able to choose the folder. Well, at least I got to choose the disk, but after the installation, I had to get help to find where I should go to open Xcode. Needless to say that the control freak in my was well... freaking out.

Most apps, once installed, can be moved and run from anywhere. My Applications folder is sub-categorized with apps sorted accordingly. You can move them at any time… no reinstalling necessary. OS X just keeps up with wherever they go. Try THAT in Windows.

P.S. I just discovered the 2 fingers scrolling on the touchpad, which I think is a superior design to the scrolling system on PC touchpads. I've also set up file sharing with my other Windows computers yay!

These multi-touch trackpads are utterly the bomb. I don't think you have the newer unified trackpad that doubles as a button. Trust me… once you use one, you just don't ever want to use anything else. There are a few more gestures besides the 2-finger scrolling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the one button pad is pretty much a question of habits. Since I've been using a 2 buttons pad from my other laptops, having only 1 button is an inconvenience.
You should try out the new unibody MBPs then. As I have mentioned you can set the trackpad to simulate two buttons which makes it very similar to most two button laptops. The other finger gestures you can do on the new trackpads are nice too. It makes me hate going back to laptops that can't do them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13-Inch, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, Intel Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard
I'd say time for an upgrade to a MBP unibody or at-least the new white MacBook. If not then I think I could not hurt to upgrade, as long as its a Intel Mac then the install should go smoothly, it wont slow down your computer at-all, Although I have a unibody MBP, I also have a White Intel iMac running Tiger, I upgraded it to Snow Leopard and it was a breeze. It did not slow down the Mac at-all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
on the old ones i think you can still do 2 finger tap to right click.

You are very correct. Even the iBook 12" Last generation that I own will do the two finger tapping once 10.5 was installed. I was very happy! :D

I agree with Lifeisabeach, Snow Leopard if anything will be faster and not slower. I did an upgrade and boot time for one example is 2x faster as is shutdown, and once in the OS many apps launch faster.

If you do the Erase and Install be warned that if you now have Ilife installed, it will not be there as iLife only comes on the original DVD that came with that Mac. Do you have the Original install DVD's that came with the Macbook? If so you can later install iLife back. I just wanted to warn you though just in case.

OP
T
Reaction score
lifeisabeach, I feel like I need to defend Windows here. I'm just adding a Mac to my life, not switching to it.

So put them where you like. There's no reason why you can't.

I wasn't pointing out a fault on the Mac or anything. The My Document folder is also a default for lots of stuff for Windows and I've never used it. I'm just saying that I need control and I'll have to see if Macs will give me as much as Windows.

Most apps, once installed, can be moved and run from anywhere. My Applications folder is sub-categorized with apps sorted accordingly. You can move them at any time… no reinstalling necessary. OS X just keeps up with wherever they go. Try THAT in Windows.

Yes, that's one place where the Mac is superior in everywhere, which I'm glad to admit.

These multi-touch trackpads are utterly the bomb. I don't think you have the newer unified trackpad that doubles as a button. Trust me… once you use one, you just don't ever want to use anything else. There are a few more gestures besides the 2-finger scrolling.

If we only compare trackpads, the Mac is superior. However, on my Fujitsu T4310, I use my fingers on the screen to scroll. Now try that with a Mac. (And the iPad doesn't count because it doesn't have OS X.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One word of caution about moving apps around inside the Applications folder. Didn't notice this in the thread. Apologies to anyone who has already posted it. You can move things around in the Applications folder and subcategorize it as others have suggested. There are a few apps that do not like this. Apple's iApps (iTunes, iMovie, etc), for example, will run from a subfolder but Software Update will not find them to update them.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you do the Erase and Install be warned that if you now have Ilife installed, it will not be there as iLife only comes on the original DVD that came with that Mac. Do you have the Original install DVD's that came with the Macbook? If so you can later install iLife back. I just wanted to warn you though just in case.

Yeah, I have both SL upgrade disk and Leopard install disk, so I can reinstall iLife. However, I'm not sure I want to do that.

I already use Corel VideoStudio for video editing and it is installed on my gaming computer which is a beast and runs it very fast. I might give iMovie a try, but I doubt I'll switch over because Corel already have all the features I'm looking for and there is also a certain amount of effort to spend to learn a new environment.

Same with iPhoto. I already know how to use photoshop.

As for iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb, I don't do those things, so...

Slydude, I probably won't move my apps anyway. Old Windows habits.

By the way, is there no delete key on this Mac keyboard even though it is a French keyboard?

P.S. I asked this in another post, but it was still unanswered after a day or two. How do I control the text to speech feature in PDF files? I simply want to be able to have the reader start at a specific location in the document instead of the beginning. Also, it would be nice if it could highlight the word or sentence it is reading right now. I find that I remember stuff better if I both read and listen to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Delete key is under eject key which is at the top right corner of the corner.
Voiceover on or off is command + F5

It sounds like an Mac upgrade with an English keyboard could be worth it for you, or at least, an external keyboard in English :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.