low quality picture with Samsung LCD connected to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Mac Book Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB H.D., 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Time Capsule
I received a 23" Samsung 2333HD TV/Monitor. I have it hooked up to my 15" Macbook Pro but the picture quality is not even close to what the MBP screen shows. I have them hooked up together with mini-DV to DVI adaptor to a DVI/HDMI cable then into the HDMI input on the Samsung. I have tried all of the different resolution settings and input mode settings but it is just not getting a good enough picture. Mostly it's just not very sharp. Increasing the sharpness setting on the Samsung just makes it grainy and causes a halo effect aroung the text and icons. Technical support at the Apple store told me this is the same way their monitors are hooked up and all is great. Any suggestions?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Mac Book Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB H.D., 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Time Capsule
OK, now. Through trial and error I figured out that not only must I select which input my laptop is hooked up to (HDMI-1) but I must also tell the input what it's connected to by selecting PC mode. That took care of the grain and halo effects. I then had to change the resolution setting to match the verticle setting of my laptop at 900. This only gave me a picture on part of the screen of the monitor. But by checking the overscan box it filled the whole screen. I used the calibrating tool built into my Macbook to get the colors, gama, white point and tone just like I like it. Everything looks great now except the picture is soft. And unfortunatly by selecting the PC mode my sharpening options are grayed out. What now???

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if anybody out there has this same monitor and the same problem then here is the answer: Use the DVI input, don't use the HDMI when hooked up to a computer or laptop. I don't know why the picture is soft using HDMI this way but the picture is perfect and exactly matches the screen on my Macbook Pro when using the DVI input. Just a note: this monitor does get a great picture when hooked up to a cable box through HDMI.
I hope this helps someone out there...

Reaction score
thanks

Thank you! There was someone out there who was helped by your efforts!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.