MAC PRO problems...

Reaction score
Hey im new, thanks for the help before hand...

I've had my Mac Pro Intel xeon Dual Quad, for about a year now... 2 gigs of ram, NVIDIA 8800GT 512mb... everything has been working really well. To be honest I dont believe i have upgraded leopard in a couple of months...

I have XP running boot camp on a separate hard drive... also been installed for the duration with no problems.

The Problem: I logged into a game on XP, the computer froze and went multi-colored and grainy, as if my graphics card had stopped working, after trying to control alt delete, and allowing it to sit for a minute or 2, the MAC jus turned off. As i turned back on, i was greeted by lines across my screen and the apple logo, and a message that says you must restart your MAC, along with what looks like a cmd menu in the background... After a day I turned it back on, it seem to work, a couple of pixels started showing up on my moniter, then more, and as i went to update itunes, it crashed agian. Same problem, lines all over on startup, and then telling me to restart. But this time it will not start back up...

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I will try and clear things up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
^^ you speak the truth lol

My MAC was shipped in February of 08... I'd still consider myself quite incapable of getting the full use out of her, so any help would be appreciated. I cannot boot to safe. I've cleared the pRAM. Reconnected RAM and GRAPHICS card. nothing.

Mac Pro crashes on startup - Graphics card? - Mac Forums

seems like a similar problem to the one I have, although not identical...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you describe sounds like what is known as a "Kernel Panic".

A kernel panic is usually caused by defective, broken, or worn out hardware.

So:

- Have you installed any new hardware lately (ram, hard drives, video cards)?
- If your video card has "died" on you...this could very well be the cause of the problems. Of course the only sure way to test this is to remove the old video card, and install a new one (not an inexpensive experiment).
- Do you have the grey/silver disk(s) that came with your computer? If possible...boot the computer with it, and run the hardware test.

Another option would be to take it to your nearest Apple Store to be examined...if you have an Apple Store near you.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
Thanks.

Nope, no new hardware has been added in quite some time. I do have the disc, but when I boot holding ALT, the apple symbol still appears, and I am in frozen line filled restart he,ll. Is there another way to boot from disc?

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
I am going to get a new video card for my MACPRO today or tommrow. I have a NVIDIA 8800GT (which I believe is burnt out ) in there right now. Is there any suggestions for a decent videocard under $200?

And if my problem is the videocard, and the reason im getting a kernal panic ( due to hardware failure ) , should the MAC jus boot fine after putting in the new card?

Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to get a new video card for my MACPRO today or tommrow. I have a NVIDIA 8800GT (which I believe is burnt out ) in there right now. Is there any suggestions for a decent videocard under $200?

And if my problem is the videocard, and the reason im getting a kernal panic ( due to hardware failure ) , should the MAC jus boot fine after putting in the new card?

Thank you

There's not too many video cards for the Mac Pro available for under $200.

The only one I know of is the GT120:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (early 2009) - Apple Store (U.S.)

If your current video card is bad...it could be causing the kernel panics. So yes, if you replace the video card...the kernel panics should go away.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'd contact Apple, if the Mac was shipped in Feb '08 you'll still have warranty left - I'd also advise upgrading to AppleCare as the components for Apples' are expensive.

It sounds like a dead ringer the graphics card is on it's way out.

Apple won't have any issues with replacing the defective card if you are still in the warranty period.

If you not, look for a used 8800GT on eBay or get the new GT120 which IMO is significantly worse.

HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Oh regarding the keyboard not registering the ALT key at start up, are you using the Apple wireless keyboard?

If yes, start pressing the ALT key from the second you switch the machine on until the green light at the top right corner of the keyboard illuminates.

When you hear the bong press and hold the ALT key until the boot menu appears on screen.

Again, hope that helps...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd contact Apple, if the Mac was shipped in Feb '08 you'll still have warranty left - I'd also advise upgrading to AppleCare as the components for Apples' are expensive.

This is assuming the OP has two years of Applecare on this Mac Pro. It is now February 2010...2 years after this computer shipped...and the standard Apple warranty is 12 months (1 year).

But I definitely agree...if the OP still has warranty left...definitely use it!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
It could be the graphics card overheated and burned the thermal paste. i've had nothing but trouble with Nvidia chipsets and cards on both macs and x86 pcs. If you can, remove the card and pop off the heatsink. Take some diluted IPA and water, and rub the old thermal paste off the chip and heatsink, then reapply a SMALL amount of good quality paste to the chip, use the blunt edge of a butter knife to spread it out, the pop the heatsink back on, I've saved several Nvidia cards because of this.

NOTE: If you smell a burned maple syrup odor, the card has scorched the thermal paste and is probably dead.

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help thus far...

My baby has been in the "MAC OUTPOST" for its "3 day turnaround" for about 10 days now .. hah, and they "THINK" its the video card, but when they unplug my second harddrive (dedicated to windows), the diagnostic test runs... They said the problem may still be my videocard.. I'm pretty disappointed in their work ethic, it almost seems as if they have not even looked at my mac...

I'm looking for a good and up-to-date list of compatible VC's or even some more recommendations. I would be very appreciative as the only card i can find on nVIDIA site has a pricetag of $400, and I am not looking to spend that much.. I can find very few piece of information...

I believe my problem is a dead card and I'm going to go get my computer back after another day or 2.

Thanks
ps. my APPLE CARE ran out so im SOL on that front hah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Check on that Applecare. If you purchased it you are covered for three years.

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
no applecare, apparently it is somthing that I never bought or, only had for 6 months...

I am looking at numerous PCI-e 2.0 video cards... Will any of these work on my MAC, and if not, why?

XFX Radeon HD 4890 Radeon HD 4890

EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Geforce 9800 GTX

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Radeon HD 5770

I'm looking for equal if not better power then the 8800GT with about $225 to spend.. Any recommendations appreciated!

C

chas_m

Just a point of order:

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
I did some more reading and see most VC's will not work with my Mac. And nVIDIA, ATI and Apple will only push the latest product, which is upwards of about $400... Should I just buy another 8800GT? lol

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
I just received my card in the mail, and it is double the size of my original 8800GT... figures..

Did I recieve an older, or newer model? I have requested an exchange cause I cannot get it to work...

88GTs_main.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.