Monitor viewing on a Samsung HDTV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Oh help people!!! Since I do many webinars and training videos I decided that viewing them on my TV would be a plus. I went out today and got all the necessary components. My DVI to VGA adaptor, (they gave me the wrong one twice at the Apple store...) my VGA cable and of course my audio cable.

The correct (finally got it ) adaptor is plugged into my monitor. Cable attached to the TV. Source set on the Samsung to PC. And yes - there appeared the Mac nebula, but not my desktop. I had a training webinar from 3 - 5 and was hoping to see it on the TV, but that was not the case.

I am guessing that since I can see the nebula that seeing my desktop is just a setting that I am unaware of - maybe somewhere in display?

Any ideas on where to go from here please and thank you?
:(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are in extended desktop mode - this provides you with two separate screens for your use - just drag any window you want from the Mac screen to the TV screen.

If you want both screens to be identical, you want mirrored mode. To do that, open up System Preferences - Displays - Appearance tab and put a check next to Mirror displays

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I did see something like that when I checked youtube to see how to set up the connections, but there is no appearance tab when I go to display? Let's see if I am doing this correctly. Apple icon > System preferences > Display (under hardware) and there I see two tabs - one says display and the other says colour?
Thank you so much for helping me. Will you continue to do so please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to do it while the external monitor is connected and running.

There will be two windows at that point, one for your Mac and another for the TV.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Me again. I disconnected my pute from the TV as my Wacom stylus and the mouse were behaving somewhat erratically. Am I correct in thinking that I am not seeing an appearance tab because I need to have the connection active? Sounds obvious but then again not everything that sounds rational actually always is, so I rather ask the stupid questions at the risk of sounding like an ID10T. And... do I also have to select "Detect Displays" or that only IF the appearance tab is not visible?
Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Crossed each other, but glad to see I was on the right track. Can't connect now as we have to listen to the State of the Union address and how soon we can all get back to work. I will try it tomorrow and thank you so much for such a prompt answer.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thank you - it worked like a charm and is absolutely FANTASTIC! I did a webinar yesterday which I viewed on my TV and it was wonderful. I just have to do a little more research now into the audio part of it, as I bought the audio cable from the Apple store, put it into the headphone port as instructed and then into my TV. No sound. There seems to be a zillion audio in and outs in the TV however so I will have to experiment with those. I don't think there are any settings that require changing on the iMac itself?
Thank you again and again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using HDMI
If this is a current model Samsung, you must use HDMI # 1.

It should be labeled HDMI/DVI 1. There will be an audio port also labeled HDMI/DVI Audio and will only work with the HDMI 1 port.

There are many TV's on the market that you will not be able to get audio through a separate port associated with any of it's HDMI ports.

Using VGA
There should be an audio in right next to the 15 pin VGA port. That is the only one that will work with it. Typically these two are labeled PC In.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Using VGA - and yes that audio option is available, but still no sound. Frankly I tried the cable on any and all audio options on the TV but no luck. I am still so happy to have the video though that if I must hear the sound via my Mac then so be it.

Back of Samsung.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turn the volume down on the TV - then max it on your Mac - then try adjusting it on the TV.

Reaction score
in a similar vein,

About a year ago I purchased the 13" Macbook aluminium unibody, which I wish to be able to display on my LCD Bravia tv (KDL-40W3100). I have a mini-display port to HDMI adapter from the MB, then a HDMI cable connected to the TV (into HDMI Port 2).

Problem is, I can't seem to get the macbook image to display onto the tv! Can you please help.

What I'm doing is:
- connecting MB to tv. I let the MB detect the TV which it recognises as a Sony tv.
- Switch channel to HDMI 2 (corresponds to me connecting cable to HDMI port 2)
- once connected, the MB cycles thru a blank screen every 5 seconds or so. This in itself is kinda disconcerting. There is no image displayed on the tv at all, let alone mirroring the image on my MB.

Can anyone suggest a fix?
Does a solution include purchase a mini-display port to VGA adapter and cables? Preferably I wish to get this HDMI solution figured out.

Many thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.