Do cases really protect notebooks

Reaction score
I have a 13" macbook pro, and was a bit disappointed that there was no update today on this line. I am venting by upgrading my own RAM from 2 gigs to 4, and possibly getting a case. I have a vinyl sticker on it already (It can peel off with no damage), but I am thinking about getting a case for protection. I have decided on Incase, over speck, but I am wondering if these really protect the macbook for anything major. I feel like if I bumped my notebook to damage anything, the case would not stop it of becoming damaged. I have a cheapo sleeve, but really do not like using it, because after I take my macbook out, I feel like the sleeve is taking up extra room.

For those who have a case, is it worth it, or is it more of a decoration?
For those without a case, What is your opinion on them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Any added protection is good....... as the HD's in laptops don't like to be bumbed around.
In saying that, you need to be vigilant in making certain that the MBP is turned off when you put it in your sleeve or bag, otherwise you are risking damage via overheating.
I personally just have a sleeve, which I don't really use anymore, as there have been a couple of times which I forgot to shutdown, and arrived at my destination with my Mac hot enough to fry eggs on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For those who have a case, is it worth it, or is it more of a decoration?
For those without a case, What is your opinion on them?

You have to consider that some Macintosh Laptops are more prone to damage than others.

The pre-unibody aluminum Mac laptops (both the G4 & Intel varieties)...were & still are VERY VERY prone to simple scratches & dents of all sorts. The aluminum housings are not very impact friendly...so there are a lot of "ugly" ones out there.

I have a Speck hard-shell case on my aluminum MacBook Pro...and it still looks great. MUCH prefer the plastic hard-shell case take a beating than the aluminum housing.

Other Mac laptops like the polycarbonate (plastic) iBooks & MacBooks are more cosmetic damage "tolerant".

- Nick

OP
ShawnBoucke
Reaction score
I have a 2009 unibody macbook pro 13". it seems the speck/incase debate is more brand loyalty from all the reviews (50/50 for which is better), and I'm likeing the orange Incase makes. is the hard case shock that much more absorbent then the macbook itself? I'm not planning on using it for a round of disc golf, but I guess I figured the aluminum housing was the top of the line best thing to have around my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MBP 2.26, 2008 MB Aluminum 2.4
I am having the same internal debate myself...to case or not to case. I actually worry about heat build up with a case. I have probably read 500 arguments on that one. I figure if you do get a case keep a log of your temps on iStat to see if there really is a difference.

Reaction score
I'm having this internal debate myself, cause I like the speck case for my aluminum. but it's more of a not trying 2 scratch the aluminum body. I want 2 keep my macbook pro in excellent condition.

Reaction score
yes the casing definatley protects them but at the same time mine is prone to overheating when the bottom casing is on it so.. they have their ups and downs they do protect ALOT from scratches dents etc. on the other hand if you use your laptop for a good amount of time it will get warmer than normal faster

Reaction score
I just bought a Speck Seethru Satin in Red. Those cases have gotten very good reviews for the most part. I ordered it from Amazon because it's a bit cheaper there and I should have it sometime this week. I'm very careful with my MBP, but I thought I should put something on it--just in case...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2009 unibody macbook pro 13". it seems the speck/incase debate is more brand loyalty from all the reviews (50/50 for which is better), and I'm likeing the orange Incase makes.

It seemed that your initial concern from your first post in this thread was if having a case or not was worth it...not whether one brand was better than another brand!

The question about is a case worth it IMHO is a much easier question to answer...than which case is better.

Since everyone may have a different opinion about which brand case is best...but I think that most people that have a case will feel that they do offer greater/improved protection from bumps & scratches.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
what everyone's opinion on the ebay case vs speck/incase (hard case

thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"the ebay case"????

Am pretty sure no one here has a clue what you are referring to.
Betcha I could go find half a dozen chinese knock-offs on ebay if I felt like it (which I don't).
So, you're going to have to provide more info than that if you want any feedback.
Personally, I'd stick with one of the name brands and quit trying to save $10 on something that may or may not even fit properly once you get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
To wrap or not to wrap?
If I wrap, where should I get my wrap?
What should my wrap be made out of?
What colour should it be?
How much should I pay for it?
Will it work?
Will it work so well that I won't want to unwrap it?

Reaction score
It is not just the case that protects a notebook, since a strong case is useless if the hard drive goes wonky after a fall. Systems also need to be shock-resistant and protected against dust and fluids. The best cases I have seen on laptops from iFanatic [i-fanatic.com]… The sleeve fit my mac very well, and now I don't have to worry about scratches and scrapes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I would tend to think that the case is worth it on an aluminum body since it should reduce the chance of a dent (which is darned easy to get).... on a poly I'm not sure it is worth it, they don't dent they only scratch and having seen some poly's that had been cased look like poop after the case was removed (they warn you to make sure the book is clean when you put it on)... I'm not sure they do much on a Poly except make it look better if you don't like white.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would tend to think that the case is worth it on an aluminum body since it should reduce the chance of a dent (which is darned easy to get).... on a poly I'm not sure it is worth it, they don't dent they only scratch and having seen some poly's that had been cased look like poop after the case was removed (they warn you to make sure the book is clean when you put it on)... I'm not sure they do much on a Poly except make it look better if you don't like white.

Do I hear an echo in here?;)

Reaction score
cases

I have had cases on my black mac since I got it. I started with incase and then moved onto cheaper non brand ebay ones. I find the ebay ones grand and even better than the incase model as they are physically lighter (the incase one made my mac heavy) 4 years on and not a single scratch on the exterior of my mac. It has travelled the world and travelled in my bag to college each day.

Reaction score
Stay away from the Chinese Knock off..They take forever to shipped and they are worthless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.