First post with a question before I make the switch

Reaction score
I'm nervous about making the switch to Mac after using Windows based systems for 20+ years, but after Vista I may have to take the leap. My biggest gripe with Vista is the constant "automatic updates" and the virus scans that take an hour or two to run. Does the Mac have an endless need for updating like Vista has? It seems like every time I turn my laptop on I have to run an update and then shut it down so it can complete the update, and then it'll say I need to run a virus scan because I haven't done one in 7 days. It wouldn't be so bad if I had a desktop that I left on 24/7 but I hate having to spend half the time I'm surfing the web on my laptop waiting for a scan to complete or having to tell it to wait before it shuts down to complete the automatic update. Please tell me Macs don't do that. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. Updates, Apple updates are pretty painless. They will pop up once a week at best, and you can choose to run them or postpone if you are busy. They tend to download in the background and then run very quickly. Unless the upgrade is to the OS itself, application updates will not require a restart, and the OS ones will not force you to restart.
In short, they are easy and hassle free.

2. Virus scans. I know us Mac users can be a bit smug on that one, but there are no viruses on OSX, and only a few Trojan horses - which you will have to award permission to install. So no constant virus scans, in fact for many, none at all. While I am not advocating never having any protection, I manually run a scan with the free ClamX once in a while, when I feel the need. It never finds anything but I guess it pays to be vigilant.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm nervous about making the switch to Mac after using Windows based systems for 20+ years, but after Vista I may have to take the leap.

Please tell me Macs don't do that. Thanks!

If you sort of have already made the decision to switch to a Mac...what would someone have to say in this thread that would really change your mind?

Also...what sort of research have you done regarding Mac's & OS X to lead you to believe that you would be better off with a Mac?

We get "switcher's" here all the time who say..."I used to be able to do 'this & this' in XP or Vista...but can't seem to do it on a Mac"...then they say, "I hate Mac's"!

Some food for thought before you "plop" down big bucks for a new Mac.:)

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
If you sort of have already made the decision to switch to a Mac...what would someone have to say in this thread that would really change your mind?

Also...what sort of research have you done regarding Mac's & OS X to lead you to believe that you would be better off with a Mac?

We get "switcher's" here all the time who say..."I used to be able to do 'this & this' in XP or Vista...but can't seem to do it on a Mac"...then they say, "I hate Mac's"!

Some food for thought before you "plop" down big bucks for a new Mac.:)

- Nick

The thing is I am still undecided on making the switch. It's not that I want to change for the sake of change but the intrusion by Vista on nearly every session is getting to be too much to ignore. If it's not updating then it wants to run a scan which really slows down the computer. I just want a computer that will let me enjoy some web surfing without constant interruption. I can remember a time when Windows wasn't constantly updating but since Vista it's been nonstop. If a Mac will eliminate it then I'll switch. If not, I guess I'll try Windows 7.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
7's not as bad as vista, but a mac is that cat's pj's as far as control. Buy a refurb entry-level mac, take it for a spin for a couple of months, sell it, and buy either a win 7 machine or the mac that suits your needs to a t.

There's even a place at the apple store that's worth a cruise: New to Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Just get a Mac. I did one year ago this Month. I have used computers since 1973 in BASIC and Windows, the difference is this iMac is a real computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The thing is I am still undecided on making the switch. It's not that I want to change for the sake of change but the intrusion by Vista on nearly every session is getting to be too much to ignore. If it's not updating then it wants to run a scan which really slows down the computer. I just want a computer that will let me enjoy some web surfing without constant interruption. I can remember a time when Windows wasn't constantly updating but since Vista it's been nonstop. If a Mac will eliminate it then I'll switch. If not, I guess I'll try Windows 7.

Here's the deal with Mac updates. There's a program called "Software Update" that's part of the Mac OS. You can configure it to automatically scan for updates daily, weekly, monthly, or never!

If you choose to not have it scan at all...you can of course open it & scan whenever you want.

So basically...you can definitely be 100% OS update interruption free if you want to.

Give this a read for more details:

Mac OS X: Updating your software

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Same situation here...I bought a Macbook recently and never looked back. It is different, yes, but it is elegant and superior, in my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.