new mac pro

Reaction score
So, I need a new macpro.. not terribly but temptation is beginning to get the better of me. I would really love to buy the 8 core today but am still waiting for the new mac pros to be released. Should I continue waiting? Will they really be that much faster? I know no one knows when they will come out but now that I know its not today I'm thinking it will not be until late March :(. any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, I need a new macpro.. not terribly but temptation is beginning to get the better of me. I would really love to buy the 8 core today but am still waiting for the new mac pros to be released. Should I continue waiting? Will they really be that much faster? I know no one knows when they will come out but now that I know its not today I'm thinking it will not be until late March :(. any ideas?

Well...funny you should ask this question...since today (Jan 27th) is a big new product announcement day. If Apple doesn't announce anything today for the Mac Pro line...then I guess you should buy today or keep on waiting!;)

Also...what are you looking for in a yet unannounced Mac Pro? And what if the next Mac Pro's do not come with what you expected...then you waited for nothing.

Food for thought,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm expecting a gulftown i9 processor that will allow the macpro to house 12 cpu cores. With more cores I would expect that would allow you to add more than the current 32 GB of ram, the current limit (not that i need 32 GB but anything over 16 begins to get expense). And it wasn't announced today, sad :( it would be most likely a few more months, right??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nothing new on the new MacPros today. I am in the same boat as you, waiting for the new i9 MacPro to be released to replace my aging and ailing Quad G5. My advice is hang in there. They are likely to announce a new MacPro sooner than later, the line is past due for an update.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My advice is hang in there. They are likely to announce a new MacPro sooner than later, the line is past due for an update.

Agreed. The Mac Pro line is overdue for an update...but then again...the current 8-core Mac Pro is pretty darn powerful...thus unlikely to disappoint if you got one!:)

In any case...the "smart" computer shopper will buy an 8-core anyway. When new Mac Pro's are announced (possibly i9 based)...the old 8-core Mac Pro's will get a nice price reduction to get them out of the system!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.