The iPad is out!

Reaction score
please forgive my ignorance but will this still need to be sync'd to a real computer to update your google calendar, podcasts, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
please forgive my ignorance but will this still need to be sync'd to a real computer to update your google calendar, podcasts, etc?

That would be a big yeppers !

Reaction score
iDisappointment

Wow! What a disappointment! This could have been a game changer, but Apple missed a huge opportunity. By simply adding a forward facing camera this could have been huge. Could you imaging being able to video chat on the go?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
where's the iSight camera?

that might have clinched it for me, but without that, i can't yet see the real difference between the iPad and the iPhone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Merged and moved redundant threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It wouldn't really surprise me if that comes on the second or third generation models, assuming it sells well enough to update frequently.

That's what I'm thinking. Wait for iSight, wait for lower prices, wait for 3G to be included (as it is with Kindle), wait for larger storage.
Maybe next year... :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Yay for iPad!

No longer a rumor! iPad is real! I cannot wait to read the specs!

Reaction score
Is anyone else kind of disapointed by the iPad? I don't want to go making a major judgement on it untill I can go and try one out for myself, but at the same time, I'm not excited about it like I have been with previous product announcements.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Count me among the pleased

It's a big iPod . . . I loved mine, and love my iPhone. My only complaints with either is the small screen for reading (which I do alot on both).
Was originally going to buy the Kindle but couldn't pull the trigger because of proprietary format and grayscale screen.
With the iPad I get the eBook reader I have been wanting with a larger and color screen. That is well worth the $499 price to me (and I suspect a significant number of others looking at eReaders). The fact that it does anything else (at all) in addition to the eReader function for $499 is gravy.

My only question is which model and do I want to wait the extra 30 days to get 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
oops lol did not see it sorry....did not know there would already be posts about it

Reaction score
another stupid question...does no multi-tasking mean you can't listen to music on it whilst browsing, using iwork, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I suspect it will mult-task in the same way the iPod Touch & iPhone do....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
Wow, this is exciting. I just purchased, and haven't even received my Macbook Pro yet. I should've waited one more day.

All the naysayers are wrong. They're just sad because they've already sunk a load of money into Apple, and now it looks like they might "have to" sink some more.

The web browsing looks awesome. Ditto for photo viewing. (but not editing) Ditto for video viewing (but not editing)

It's kinda big for an MP3 player, but it is cool that it does it.

Agreed that it would be cooler if it had a camera; at least a webcam.

It is going to take a BIG chunk out of Amazon/Kindle's profits. A lot of Kindle users wish for backlight. (not knowing that increases eye fatigue) Should make an awesome eBook reader.

There is a video on yahoo.com where a guy Diane Sawyer is interviewing says: "Most companies, like Microsoft, steal other companies' successes and work on them. Apple takes other companies' failures and makes them work." I think that was very well said.

Bottom line is that I don't think anyone can really complain until they try one or have one demoed for them. Just like one has to see a Kindle to really appreciate it, or an Apple computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'm certainly not the type to buy into Apple's cheap gimmicks (a category I still say the iPod Touch, MacBook Air and Apple TV fall into), but I can actually see the iPad sparking a new category of device that's appealing to the type of person that uses a computer very casually. E-Reader aside, I can think of many times when I've wanted to use my notebook just to watch a movie or TV episode but wanted to just do so laying on a couch or bed, not on a chair in front of a desk. True, I can do this with my computer, but it's always at least a little awkward because of the shape of an open laptop and the weight on a lap for two hours. A netbook doesn't really fit the bill for this use for a number of reasons either (tiny screen, shape problem is still there). This machine looks tailored to take care of just that sort of use, but of course, not just with light entertainment but also with quickly checking email and other things you don't necessarily want to sit at a computer to do (and would rather have a large screen for). I can definitely see the "use type" this appeals to, and where there is such a thing there is a potential market starter, especially if the entry point is inexpensive enough. Basically, I consider this to be the machine the iPod Touch should have been. I won't be buying it, but I can see the iPad being in it for the long run if marketed properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was originally going to buy the Kindle but couldn't pull the trigger because of proprietary format and grayscale screen.
With the iPad I get the eBook reader I have been wanting with a larger and color screen. That is well worth the $499 price to me (and I suspect a significant number of others looking at eReaders). The fact that it does anything else (at all) in addition to the eReader function for $499 is gravy.

OT:

Razormac: Have you seen a Kindle screen in person. The grayscale and lack of a backlight is actually an advantage for reading lots of text. One doesn't find one's attention wandering like one does when reading on an LCD computer monitor.

You're right that it is huge that it does so many other things. The eBook reader is an afterthought. With this much computing power, why not put an eBook reader in too.

Nevertheless, I bet the Kindle 2 price will go down again pretty soon. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to say that it is really cool that they released this on Mozart's birthday. He would be 254 today.

Reaction score
Big disappointment! I thought is gonna be a touch screen device running with Snow Leopard OS X which you'll able do everything like in Macbook but in touch screen format.
But not just a bigger iphone or ipod touch. Really lost my interest~
It may be good for those Gammers want a bigger screen. But Apple may have forgotten all the designers are using Apple too!
It will be great if Apple will come out another vision of iPad running in OS X!! So designers and engineers like us can run our Adobe or 3D applications on it.
Have you thought about if you would bring an iphone, an iPad, and a MacBook all to trip!? Sorry, no, or at least I wouldn't. Its too much too bring~
Maybe this is why Apple don't want to run an OS X system in iPad, otherwise no one will buy the Macbook or Macbook Air.
They just want you to spend $ for what I call "high-tech" toy, not for professional use.
I, myself is a big fans of Apple product. I think iPhone is a legend, the most success genius device they have ever made.
But not the iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.