MBPro + SSD = Unformatted Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 64GB SSD
Hey Everyone

I'm new to both the forum and to Macs. I just purchased a MacBook Pro about 3 months ago (my first mac ever), and last month I purchased a 64GB Patriot Warp V2 SSD.

Ever since then I have been having issues with the Operating System.

I will be using my mac, close the lid, go to a new location, and when I open it up I get the Spinning Pinwheel.

I then proceed to hard shutdown, but when I power it back up I get a flashing envelope... So I put in the OSX disk... and go to Disk Utility

The Disk Utility is telling me that the Patriot is "Unformatted".

This has happened to me three times in the past 4 weeks... what could possibly be the issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Uni
have you removed the disk the safe way? Or just unplugged the thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
have you removed the disk the safe way? Or just unplugged the thing?

the op is referring to an internal ssd drive..Sounds like there could be a problem with your sweet new toy ! Hopefully you have a cloned copy of your drive so you can still be up and running while you maybe have to return it for a new one...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the op is referring to an internal ssd drive..Sounds like there could be a problem with your sweet new toy ! Hopefully you have a cloned copy of your drive so you can still be up and running while you maybe have to return it for a new one...

Yeah this is an internal drive. I do have backups of everything in Time Machine, so I'm not worried. Just wondering why this keeps happening. It's actually the second SSD in my machine... the first one died completely and I returned in for the Patriot.

Can static electricity hit a disk when it's installed inside the Unibody?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah this is an internal drive. I do have backups of everything in Time Machine, so I'm not worried. Just wondering why this keeps happening. It's actually the second SSD in my machine... the first one died completely and I returned in for the Patriot.

Can static electricity hit a disk when it's installed inside the Unibody?

No, an internal drive is protected against static discharge. SSD drives in my opinion are just not as reliable as regular drives - yet. Why do you feel you need a SSD drive for your MBP? Especially since it's only 64 GB?

SSD technology is growing and getting better all the time. Personally, I would wait until prices come down and the reliability of the SSD have increased before purchasing one.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought an SSD cause it was a "decent" price ($200) and I wanted a new "toy". The thing is super fast, bench tested it against the stock disk and it was literally double.

64GB is all I need since I don't keep stuff on my disk. I have a NAS at home that stores everything... the disk just runs OSX, Apps. and Parallels.

The Time Machine restore only took about 30 minutes to complete and I didn't lose a thing... Just wondering what could be happening with this thing to cause these problems.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not experiencing any Caching or Stalling issues as expressed in those reviews. In fact this thing performs the CRAP out of anything else I've ever used. The problem is that is just loses it's format :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will keep looking. So far I have seen no one with your issue. I would say take it to apple but since it's not an apple supplied drive, they would probably just blame the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.