Mail Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
When Mail opens, it seems to be "stuck" trying to retrieve incoming messages.

I think it may be stuck on a message with a large attachment (the last message successfully retrieved was the one right before a message with a large attachment - can see that by checking my inbox through the web client). I am unable to restart as Mail will not quit. I did power down (hold down power button), but after starting back up again, mail is still stuck.

Still able to send emails.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to remove the email with the large attachment from the queue?

Thanks

Reaction score
Until today I've been using Thunderbird and today I thought I'd go back to mail and I have a similar problem. As far as I know, this didn't happen when I first started using it (about a year ago on leopard).

I don't have a problem quitting mail, but it keeps restarting on its own. I thought maybe it was because of IMAP or large attachments, so I deleted all my inboxes and I still have the same problem. Force quit doesn't do anything because the application just restarts on it's own.

I have the same exact problem with NetNewsWire. I tried to use google and no one seems to have a similar issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
jam2000 - Do you see the receiving mail progress bar? Is it getting "stuck" part way through the download? If not, then it sounds like your Mail app may be having trouble establishing a connection with the mail server. It yes, then you are probably right about it being a problem with the content. If it's a connection problem, go into Accounts and reset your Server connection. If it's content, go to your server via the web and delete what you suspect to be the offending content. If that doesn't do it, go to Library/Preferenes and delete the mail.plist file. BE ADVISED that you will then have to set Mail up as you did when you first used it, and you will need to know your Username, Password, and your server's POP, and SMTP settings.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I see the receiving mail progress bar, it starts out fine, but quickly moved to 0 KB/sec.

What is the mail.plist file? Will that delete the mail messages currently have?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An update, have resolved the problem - I went into an apple store for help.

Turns out I had some problems with my permissions, we ran repair permissions - took over an hour. After that and re-importing the mail boxes everything works fine.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.