Macbook Won't Power On When Top Case Is Snapped In?

Reaction score
This seems like a strange problem, but I imagine there's something very simple causing it. Hopefully someone can help.

I have an A1181 white macbook that will not power on if the assembled. If I don't push the tabs in, it's fine, but if I do, the power button no longer works. I can restart from the UI just fine though, so I'm guessing something is happening to the power button when the top case is pushed all the way in place.

The backstory is sort of long, but I'll try to sum it up. I replaced the display a couple months ago and recently noticed a very slight gap between the top case and the main body, that I assume was left there when I reassembled it. Last night, I opened the macbook up to see if I could figure it out. It turned out I just hadn't put enough pressure on the tabs. When I put enough pressure on it, the tabs snapped in to place and the gap was gone. But the macbook would no longer power up. After several hours of trial and error, I figured out that it would power up as long as those tabs weren't snapped in.

UPDATE: The problem is worse than I thought. It won't power on if the top case is all the way in place at all, even if I leave the gap on the right. If I keep the top case loose, it will power up with the power button. Obviously this is not something I can just live with as I previously thought :(

Many thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to disassemble the machine and check to make sure the power cable is not being pinched off and is making good contact. (you may have to re-orientate it) Those tabs are designed to be in place with no gap showing. Otherwise over the long haul you're going to run into warpage problems from heat. Also, an accumulation of dust and dirt can possibly build up through the openings.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Went to the genius bar and the nice woman seemed to think I need a new top case. Gonna order one off ebay and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
Check your ribbon and power cables!! If everything works when it is not "snapped" in place, I think you may be wasting money! Double and triple check ALL connections. Most likely, it's just something simple.. It usually is :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.