Wireless problems

Reaction score
I'm at uni and the only internet I have access to is a wired cable into the wall. I bought a Belkin wireless router, and I had no problems hooking up my Mac, laptop and PS3 to the wireless.

Yesterday, though, it just stopped working. The internet still works with a wire, but the wireless router won't let me connect to Firefox any more. Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, Belkin networking products are not known for being reliable.

The first thing to do would be to power off the router (pull the power cord) and let it sit for about 30 seconds and then power it back on. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you'll want to check the wireless settings by going to the router's configuration web page (the process should be documented in your manual). Make sure the radio is turned on and that the security is set up properly (you should be using WPA or WPA2).

If you didn't ever set up security, it's entirely possible that someone else hopped on and locked you out of it. It's also possible that the school's IT staff disabled it if it's not something they allow attached to their network (did you check with them first?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB
I'm guessing that cwa107's last guess is the most accurate one. When you plug in an ethernet cord for access, do you plug to the university's modem or your router? When I was an undergrad, they didn't let you use routers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Same issue with the PS3 by any chance? I would almost bet it's the router. See if the PS3 can connect.

Reaction score
Use the "MAC Address Cloning" feature of the router to mimic the MAC address of your laptop. That should be enough to fool the campus NOC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.