antivirus?

E

ethea

So being a little wet behind the ears, my new iMac is due in any day. After running a PC both professionally and personally for the last 8+ years, I was very happy to be able to make the switch. Really haven't a MAC since the OS was in v 8 somewhere.

To make a long story short...what's the deal on whether or not I need antivirus? I can't locate any articles relating to this and I went to the MAC store and they don't even sell the stuff. I have a firewall/router and such but the PC user in me cannot believe that some level of viral protection is not needed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, hope to be on this forum quite often.

j. moore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There are no risks for your Mac but if you get a windows virus it can be passed on to the windows pc.....But as long as you have virus protection on the PC you are fine

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

option a) if you are going to network the PC and mac it would be a good idea still not mandantory
option b) if the mac will not be networked with a PC then it would be posintless. The are no viri/spyware/adware for macs.

EDIT:ahhh you got me trpn

OP
E

ethea

Thanks....that is what I have been hearing, but really difficult for me to grasp it...especially having seen how hard the PC's get hit.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

jm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The people quoted in that article are from Symantec...Of course they are going to say there are more vulnerabilties, they want you to buy their product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.