SATA Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

I was looking at the Dual G5's at the Apple Store and noticed it comes with 7200 RPM SATA hard drives. My newbie question is, can you use any SATA hard drive or is there something special about the way MAC's do SATA?

On my PC I use Western Digital Raptor SATA 74GB 10,000 RPM harddrives, just curious why something like that is not in those G5's.

Thanks,

Gunnerjoe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
gunnerjoe said:
Hi All,

I was looking at the Dual G5's at the Apple Store and noticed it comes with 7200 RPM SATA hard drives. My newbie question is, can you use any SATA hard drive or is there something special about the way MAC's do SATA?

On my PC I use Western Digital Raptor SATA 74GB 10,000 RPM harddrives, just curious why something like that is not in those G5's.

Thanks,

Gunnerjoe

The raptors will work in a G5, the only reason they aren't standard is that they are much more expensive per GB than the 7200 RPM drives.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Thanks that's good to know you can use them.

Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive is $180 for 74 GB drive and Western Digital 7200 RPM 250 GB SATA drive is $170 @ http://www.monarchcomputer.com The difference in performance is sure noticeable on my PC, surprised with all the Video Editing and such being done on the G5's that customers are not demanding more hard drive speed...

Thanks,

Joe

jhelm007 said:
The raptors will work in a G5, the only reason they aren't standard is that they are much more expensive per GB than the 7200 RPM drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.