Old ibook

Reaction score
So i have this old ibook and i was just wondering what do i need to do to get it up to date and in good working fashion. it connects to the internet and is not terribly slow but i want it the best it can be. also im having trouble downloading a flash player.

And for some reason when i log onto facebook sometimes the entire page closes out of nowhere. that also happens when i try to go to youtube, i cant even get the page to load before it dissapears.

thanks, im putting myself through college and am trying to use all my resources!

here is the info:

Mac OS X Version 10.3.9
600 MHz PowerPC G3
384 MB SDRAM

let me know if there is anything else needed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The most recent OS you can update to is 10.4.11...but it will cost you about $100+ to get a copy of the install disk.

You can update the ram to 640meg...still not very much by today's standards (depending on what tasks you want to do with the iBook).

Lastly...a 600mhz cpu may not have enough "horsepower" to run YouTube videos...just too demanding.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
If money's tight, attempting to refurbish a Mac seems pretty counter intuitive. I'd sell it and buy a $200 netbook. That'll do all the word-processing, video watching, and facebooking that you see other college kids doing on $2500 macbook pros.

C

chas_m

Despite the low cost of netbooks, I have always found them to be pretty awful computers beyond a VERY limited range of tasks. Let's just say you are getting what you pay for.

I'd suggest looking for a more recent used or refurb MacBook. It will cost you more, but you will get a **** of a lot more computer out of it.

Still, if all you REALLY want to do is look at YouTube, go on Facebook and read email/surf, a netbook would probably do you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.