Memory Question For a Macbook 13"

Reaction score
I have a Macbook 13" 2.0 ghz with the Intel Core 2 Duo chip running Snow Leopard and Windows 7. Currently I have only 1GB of memory and would like to go with 4GB. I thought I had read where others are using 4GB of memory. I would really like to have the 4GB but would hate to buy it only to find out it will not work. Some say if I install 4GB the system will see 3.3GB, so I thought I would ask the pro's to help me... Thanks... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That is true, however it is not an exact science, it may be slightly higher or slightly lower than 3.3GB, but you will see a vast improvement.
By the way, you have to get the 4GB as you can't put 2GB in one slot and 1GB in the other.
So yes, 4GB will certainly serve you well :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can upgrade your MacBook to 4 GB, however, unless you're running the 64 bit version of Win 7, it will only "see" approximately 3.3 GB. There are a few "hacks" floating around that will supposedly allow Win 7 to "see" all of it, but until someone verifies that they work, I would just settle on only having 3.3 GB available in Win 7.

Anyway, what do you intend to run in Win 7 that's going to need that much memory? Most games (even FS) run fairly well with only 2 GB. It's really the graphics processor that makes the big difference in how well some programs will run.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Macbook 13" 2.0 ghz with the Intel Core 2 Duo chip running Snow Leopard and Windows 7. Currently I have only 1GB of memory and would like to go with 4GB. I thought I had read where others are using 4GB of memory. I would really like to have the 4GB but would hate to buy it only to find out it will not work. Some say if I install 4GB the system will see 3.3GB, so I thought I would ask the pro's to help me... Thanks... :)

There were 3 different model releases for 13" MacBook's with a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo processor:

- a "2006" model
- a "2007" model
- and a "Santa Rosa" model available late 2007/early 2008

With the 2006 & 2007 models...you can install 4 gig of ram...but the computer will only recognize 3 gig of it (similar to what you mentioned in your original post).

With the "Santa Rosa" model...you can install up to 6 gig of ram.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.