Airport Problems.

Reaction score
Got an issue with my 15" macbook pro with the wireless network set up in my dorm. If I move anywhere within three feet of the airport express my internet connection goes goofy. It will work for 5 minutes and then it poops out and stops working. It continues to fade in and out. While my roommate with a 13" macbook can access the internet anywhere and it works just fine.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try setting a Location for the dorm here and then find the DNS numbers for that ISP and add them see here - then report back if that does not sort it.

OP
J
Reaction score
So far setting the location is working. Thanks much. I'll respond back if I have any other problems.

Reaction score
similar problem

hi, I have a similar problem I have a macbook pro 13" and a macbook 13" until two days ago i was able to go online with my Airport Express on both of them. Two nights ago I was online and my macbook all of a sudden just stopped recognizing the AE at first i thought it was the internet so i did a soft and a hard reset of the AE, disconnected the cable for 10 minutes and turn off the airport on my macbookpro but still doesn't work.

Its strange cause on my macbook I can still see the apple network from the AE and go online on, but on the macbookpro I can only see other protected networks from my neighbors but not the apple network and the airport on my mac shows an exclamation mark on top of the aiport icon.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks for the input

OP
J
Reaction score
Try setting a Location for the dorm here and then find the DNS numbers for that ISP and add them see here - then report back if that does not sort it.

Well the first solution worked for about two weeks and now it's acting funky again. :Grimmace: So I am working on the second solution, but where do I find the DNS numbers for the ISP? I found where to add them, but not where I can find what numbers I need to add. Thanks for the help again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Generally your ISP will have a page on line showing settings and in there should be the IP numbers for Primary and Secondary DNS settings.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright, well the numbers are already there in the DNS box. It comes up with two numbers and a search domain in the box to the right of that. But I cannot edit either. I think this is because I am in the dorms and I am making a wireless network with AE from their wired cable internet connection... Any more ideas?

Reaction score
hi. i have a problem to set up my new printer HP officejet 7000 wirelessly through my airport express. the first few seconds after having plugged in the airport and the usb cable into the airport from my printer, my macbookpro recognizes the printer as a bonjour connection, but after approx.. 10 seconds, it disappears from the "add printer" list. printing works fine with a direct usb connection from my computer to the printer. i have also reset my airport to factory settings, but that has not changed anything either.
does anybody have the same problems? and does anybody know how to solve them? THanks

OP
J
Reaction score
That doesn't relate to this thread, put your problem in your own thread.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't relate to this thread, put your problem in your own thread.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Going right back to the start - both your roommate and u were using the same wireless network from the Airport Express - right?
Is the A. Express set to bridge mode?

OP
J
Reaction score
Going right back to the start - both your roommate and u were using the same wireless network from the Airport Express - right?
Is the A. Express set to bridge mode?

Under the manual set up in Airport Utility it says under connection sharing that it is "Off (Bridge Mode)."

Is that supposed to be something different? My options are, "Share a public IP address," or "Distribute a range of IP addresses."

I'm a noob to this stuff but could it be the radio mode that it's on is too new of a technology (the "n" radio mode) for my four year old mac? Just throwing ideas out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.