• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie 09- VHS stops uploading

Reaction score
I am using imovie 09 and uploading VHS tapes using a Canopus twin100. It works well but stops uploading any time there is a break in the VHS tape. Then I have to back up the tape and start uploading again. I've tried the auto mode and the manual mode and both stop during the uploading. Is there a way to set it to upload for a certain number of minutes or until I stop it manually? Also would like to use idvd with chapters but I have to make markers in imovie to do this and 09 does not give you the option to make markers from what I understand. I am new to using a MAC and am on a learning curve right now. So, I appreciate the help.

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

Okay, now that that's out of the way ...

The Canopus is going to stop anytime it detects a break in the tape, because it's getting a null signal from the deck. Nothing you can do about this that I know of.

I don't know where you got the impression that iMovie 09 doesn't do chapters, but you're not the first person to miss it:
Apple - Support - Discussions - How can I add chapters to my iMovie'09 ...

Hope that helps!

OP
G
Reaction score
OK, Thanks for the information on Mac:) Does anyone know if another version of imovie can import without stopping when there is a break in the tape? I have used pc software that you can set it to upload for a certain time period. That is the big problem I am having and am looking for a solution. I like imovie but maybe there is another program available to upload with and then edit in imovie? Thanks

C

chas_m

OK, Thanks for the information on Mac:) Does anyone know if another version of imovie can import without stopping when there is a break in the tape? I have used pc software that you can set it to upload for a certain time period. That is the big problem I am having and am looking for a solution. I like imovie but maybe there is another program available to upload with and then edit in imovie? Thanks

iMovie will always stop when there is an actual break (null signal) in the tape. Little edits do not make iMovie stop, it will just automatically start a new "scene" when that happens.

You might try importing via an EyeTV device, they seem to do what you want (you can always transfer the capture to iMovie for editing later). I have an EyeTV 250 Plus that works quite well for this, and yes I tested it with a VHS tape that has like 50 million music videos on it so a lot of "breaks"!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.