from PC to ibook G4...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8
Hey all...New to the forum and to the Mac world. Thanks for some of the great posts on here. I've been able to answer a lot of my questions just browsing through the threads. As much as I wanted to drop $1100 for a new Mac book pro, I just couldn't do it. So my first Mac had to be an ibook G4. So far, I love it way better than my PC w/ windows XP !! I picked the ibook up for 300 bucks. It has the 1.42ghz processor, new 60g hard drive, 1.5g Ram, Airport extreme, bluetooth, Leopard 10.5 OS w/ iLife, brand new top and bottom case (white of course) and new battery. Anyway, I won't bore you the that stuff too much. Just looking for your thoughts if I over payed or got a decent deal.

Also, I was wondering how may of you still have and/or are still using your ibooks? And does the ibook still meet most of your needs? I know technology has improved greatly in the Mac world since 2005-2006, but I don't use the ibook for much more than web surfing, email, itunes, photoshop, watching DVD's on the road, etc.

Anyway, you thought and feedback are much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
my first mac was a 12" ibook. i absolutely loved it. the bad thing about them is where the RAM is located. other than that it was a great machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also, I was wondering how may of you still have and/or are still using your ibooks? And does the ibook still meet most of your needs? I know technology has improved greatly in the Mac world since 2005-2006, but I don't use the ibook for much more than web surfing, email, itunes, photoshop, watching DVD's on the road, etc.

Anyway, you thought and feedback are much appreciated!

Hey what's with the double/cross post??? You posted the same message about 25 minutes ago in another section.

Now you're going to get "barked" at by the admins.;)

- Nick

OP
Spag_187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, scare me off the forum my first day! I thought I was going to able to delete my other post, but I guess not. Oh well, I married...so I know how to handle being barked at!

Regarding the youtube issue mentioned in my previous (illegal) post. I haven't had any issues watching youtube videos on my G4. It's actually much smoother than compared to watching them on my toshiba PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, scare me off the forum my first day! I thought I was going to able to delete my other post, but I guess not. Oh well, I married...so I know how to handle being barked at!

Regarding the youtube issue mentioned in my previous (illegal) post. I haven't had any issues watching youtube videos on my G4. It's actually much smoother than compared to watching them on my toshiba PC.

Just teasing about the barking!;)

Regarding Youtube.

The hardware mentioned in your other thread...was a 300mhz G3 iBook & a 333mhz G3 iMac. Just compare 300/333mhz to your 1.42ghz G4...and you see a BIG difference! These G3 computers also have very old video hardware.

- Nick

OP
Spag_187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I was gathering info, before buying the G4, I noticed while looking in other threads some guys were saying "stay away" from powerPC Mac's. Why is this? So far, Im very impressed and happy with the performance of the G4. Are they saying that in regards to professional uses like graphic design and what not?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I was gathering info, before buying the G4, I noticed while looking in other threads some guys were saying "stay away" from powerPC Mac's. Why is this? So far, Im very impressed and happy with the performance of the G4. Are they saying that in regards to professional uses like graphic design and what not?

Basically the PowerPC Mac's are a "dead-end" in terms of Mac OS updates. The most up to date OS you can update to is OS 10.5.8.

Apple released OS 10.6 back in late August/early September...and this is only for Mac's with an Intel processor (G4s have a PowerPC processor).

But the benefit to the older G4's (and G5's) are they are less expensive to purchase...and the faster ones (like yours) are still very useable.

You will also find that some newer software releases may be for "Intel" Macintosh's only...especially games.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
For your needs, it's a great machine. And a great, cheap intro to Macs. As time goes on, you'll start bumping into the issues listed in the post above. By that time, however, you'll have a better idea of what specs you want in your next mac (buy refurb!). And you can hand the iB down to the kids ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.