How can I copy programs from a backup disc image to my new hard drive?

Reaction score
My MBP's hard drive was dying and i brought it in for Applecare to have it replaced. I saved my old, dying hard drive as a disc image on an external hard drive. I got the machine back today, and i want to reinstall my applications. What should i do to reinstall these programs from the disc image backup? I know that for some programs I want to reinstall, like Final Cut Pro, information is saved in the library folder too. I worry that might complicate matters.

Thanks!,
noam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Your best bet is to copy over the simple applications (those that didn't have an installer to begin with) from the backup and then reinstall the other applications with their original installers. If you've lost a disc or something, perhaps someone on Google has figured out how to restore the licensing information for that specific program. However, at least according to this thread, that could cause some issues, especially for Pro applications like Final Cut.

C

chas_m

You could use Migration Assistant to restore the computer to exactly the way it was before the crash from that disk image.

PS. Pat yourself on the back for having the foresight to be proactive about preserving your data!

OP
O
Reaction score
Operating system?

Is I use Migration Assistant, do i need to reinstall the operating system first? The operating system is, of course, saved on the disc image, along with everything else.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You do have the install discs that came with the machine correct ? Then you have the OS

Clay

OP
O
Reaction score
I have the OS. I just want to know if I should reinstall it before using Migration Assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
sorry misunderstood. Yes is the answer.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it does happen programs such as Microsoft Office and Adobe sometimes do not transfer well, so if you have problems be prepared to run uninstallers and then be ready for clean installs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.