No Signal To Monitor

A

arthurlewis

My G4 is no longer sending a signal to the monitor. All was OK sunday evening. Turned off the monitor overnight and in the morning the monitor displayed only 'NO SIGNAL' message. Has my graphics card blown (standard APPLE AGP supplied) or is it something more fundamental? I do not have another MAC available to me to test this theory, which is the problem.

I have tested the monitor on a different machine (Windows laptop) and it works fine.

Any thoughts welcomed

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since you have test the monitor and ruled it out. That leave two items to check, the cable and the card. Unless the cable was loose, or has some 90 degree bends in it, I would think the video card may have gone out.

OP
E

EvoMac

Make sure that the port is firmly inserted into the slot (PCI or AGP?). If the video card is PCI try inserting it into another slot to confirm that its not the slot on the logic board that went bad.

OP
A

arthurlewis

Cable was fine. Card is AGP. Do graphics cards have a habit of dying so young?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
arthurlewis said:
This sounds stoopid, but have you re-booted the 'puter with the monitor turned on and hooked up? There is an anoying habit of macs not booting up properly if they don't detect a display sometimes. That's my only idear... good luck.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The above sounds so simple, I bet you it will work. :)

Reaction score
rman said:
The above sounds so simple, I bet you it will work. :)

I have a PC with the same problem which went back to the factory for repair yesterday afternoon. The tech on the phone had me do few things for him, and then determined that the problem isn't the graphics card, but rather the power supply. Not sure how to check on a Mac, but wouldn't invest in a card without checking the power supply first.

Good luck with the reboot. I hope that works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
arthurlewis said:
It took my rage 128 pro about 3 years to go bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.