wifi for G3 powerbook

Reaction score
My "new" lappybrick is an Apple Mac G3 Powerbook Wallstreet 2 with the 8.6 OS (yes, it's a dinosaur, I got it cheap on ebay). If I get one of those Airport cards, will it work to give me the capability to get on the internet at school? If not, what would? I can probably upgrade to a slightly later iteration of the OS if necessary. Also, I've bought a USB card, so I can use something external too.

Also, if the Airport will do what I want, any installation directions out there?

(cheap solutions greatly preferred, I wouldn't have bought the lappybrick if I was interested in spending a great deal of money on a laptop--but I have a hardware-capable friend who can probably install the card if he has directions)

OP
T
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be a way to edit posts...
I don't have firewire, so it looks like the internal Airport card is out. Anyone know of another solution that will work on an iteration of the OS early enough to cram onto my poor beast? My friend thinks I might be able to go as late as 9.2 without overstraining the poor thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.