• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Component Video in MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26GHz MacBook Pro (late 09')
Hello dear people of Mac-Forums..would you be so kind and help me again..?

I'm using a late2009 MacBook Pro , I really want to somehow connect my Mac to my prehistoric TV (Sony Trinitron) with a 3 RCA input

I have a MiniDisplay port to HDMI convertor which works with an HD tv perfectly

And a HDMI to 3 RCA cable :
DealExtreme: $8.48 Gold Plated HDMI to Component Video 3-RCA Cable (1.6M-Length)

Can i do this?

Thanks!!

Omri.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Lets make sure we are talking about the same thing . Wen you say prehistoric tv I think composite video not component video. Then you start talking about 3 RCA and I think well component video does use 3 for video but two more for audio and composite uses 3 total for audio and video.

So component video { just video ) uses a red , green , blue
composite uses red, white , yellow

so I ask you which ports does your tv have ?

Clay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
NO, you cannot go from HDMI to component on a $9 cable. Forget it.

You will need a converter box, similar to this. If you find one for much less than $200-$250, I would be extremely skeptical and wouldn't give them my money unless I could find some 3rd party reviews.

I would not purchase one from any company I have never heard of and/or could not find anyone that had ordered something similar.

I'm not even sure I would attempt it.

You could also look for DVI to component. But, you must look for DVI-D. DVI-I to component will not work from the current gen Macs.

C

chas_m

And at the end of all that, it will look crap.

If you want to run your computer (which is greater than HD resolution) on a TV, you need to have a TV that can at least come somewhere close to your native resolution. The TV you are describing sounds like it can do 640x480 tops.

To get an idea of how awful that will look, change your computers resolution to 640x480 (if that's even possible).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.