Target Disk Mode

Reaction score
Once again, i apologise if this is in the wrong section...:Oops:

I'm having a nightmare with my mac. I've had alot of help off here and it's been booked into an apple store for tomorrow.

The thing is, i need to get it backed up. The only other mac i have access to is the one at work which is a new mac pro. This only has Firewire800 where as my iMac has both 400 & 800.

I've phoned more or less every computer shop up around my area and none of them stock Firewire 800 cables. Some didn't even know what i was on about.

Is TDM only available through Firewire? Can i use USB? Anyone have any other suggestions as i need to get this backed up today if possible!!

Many thanks,

Tif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, Firewire only, and this is a sign of Apple almost sounding the death knell on TDM.
Bad of them, but it looks like you may be stuck I'm afraid.

OP
T
Reaction score
Cheers for the quick replies guys.

I guess i'll have to venture a bit further out, nearest apple shop is 1h30mins away which is where i'm taking it tomorrow. Will have to drive there today and pick up a cable. Pain in't ***.

Thanks again,

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok.. managed to buy a FW800 cable and connected it from my iMac (slave) to the host mac being macpro quad-core.

My iMac is entering into TDM (The Firewire symbol shown on screen) but nothing is coming up on the host..

Am i doing something stupidly simple wrong here?

Please can someone help me!

OP
T
Reaction score
Scrap that last message!!

Seems to have found it after 15 minutes. After frantically typing that message and printing out the troubleshooting help, it just popped up.

Now i have the enjoyable task of copying across 180gb and moving it onto a USB drive...

Cheers all,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
FYI you can also get a Firewire 800 adapter to place over the Firewire 400 cables which are more common. I use an adapter because my older Macs only have Firewire 400 and my MBP has only Firewire 800. I only have a Firewire 400 to 400 male cable and need the adapter to use TDM.

I'm surprised it's taking that long for yours to show up in TDM. Mine shows up almost right away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
For others that may find their way here - i had my 2.4 GB iMac with FW 800 to Ext HD then an adaptor in other FW 800 port and a FW 400 cable to G3 iMac which allowed a .dmg to be installed from Ext HD to G3 iMac in Target mode. Done thru Disk Utility on the 2.4 iMac. Hope that makes sense.
Firewire 800 to 400 Adapter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.