Problem opening wmv. movies on Snow Leopard

Reaction score
When I open a website with a wmv. movie and I try to launch the movie, I get the movie tab (for example, 06.wmv.) appearing in rapid fire duplication moving from right to left and the movie does not open. I have to close out of the browser completely. This occurs in Firefox, Opera and Camino, but not in Safari. This only started when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Amy ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Or if you want a all round media player try VLC

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Already have Flip4Mac and VLC. Maybe I am not being clear. When I go to a site with wmv. movies and click on one to open it, I get this rapid fire duplication of the tab, and all I can do is a force quit of the website. Flip4Mac and VLC can bu used to open movie files that have already been downloaded. I cannot open, nor download, the wmv. movies. Make better sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'n not sure what you mean by "rapid fire duplication of the tab" but I'm assuming you mean a pop up of some sort, that you can't close and need to force quit browser.
Rather than asking if this is a questionable website, is this happening on all websites with .WMVs

Reaction score
Same problem here

This problem got nothing to do with the website. It looks like the browser asks the system which app to use for "application/wmv" and the system says: use the active browser. Hence the browser opens a new tab after which the browser asks the same question again to the system.

In the old days (pre osx) I could point manually an application which should by used by different MIME types, but that option seems to be automated or moved to a dark place.

Things that didn't help
- Reinstalled flip4mac
- Tell system through flip4mac it should reclaim file types
- Change "open in quicktime" settings in flip4mac
- Use a different (any) browser

This problem was introduced after upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6.
Anybody got a solution other then a clean system install?

Thanks.
Frans-Jan Wind
the Netherlands

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.