internet and MSN running slow or not at all

Reaction score
hiya everyone i am having a lot of problems with my macbook pro.
the macbook itself is fine and running fine starting up fast etc, but last week MSN wouldnt sign in, but would on the other computer which is windows.
And now a lot of sites wont load either getting more and more, first is some pages on facebook wont load, and today my bank site wouldnt load, but did on the windows one, i havent installed anything on the computer, only updates that apple found.

Other sites wont load either, or are very very slow and others are working fine... No virus on the computer I have checked that, could it be the updates? and any advice on what could have caused it, MSN was working fine but just will not log in now.

thank you for any help
Angela

OP
A
Reaction score
Can anyone help on this????

I am going to reboot the router again tonight, but dont think it will make a diff because the internet is working just not loading some sites.
And also is it worth upgrading to snow leopard at the moment im on Leopard. 10.5.8 I think will have to check that when i get home but think that is right.

Thank you for any help
Angela

New to Macs so dont know much about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Which browser are you using? Have you tried Firefox?
Also, try installing the 10.5.8 combo update (which is different to having the 10.5.8 update that you got through software update) Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
I also recommend going through http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html
As for snow leopard, I never had any problems with leopard, and now on snow leopard, still no problems... but I'm big on basic system maintenance.
I use MainMenu 1.7.4 (free version) which takes a few download attempts from different links to get the right one, as most links even when they say you are getting that version, give you the later (paid) version.
Most people use Onyx Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX which is a lot more detailed but you need to proceed with caution if you don't know what you are doing when you use it.... so if in doubt, ask first.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply I think I do have the latest OS update the combo one, and also I use Firefox aswell.
Will go to the troubleshooting when I get home aswell.
Thank you for the tips and will look into the program that you use.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi I was up half the night trying to sort this out again.
I have done what you said in your post made sure I had that combo update and everything, and then went through the troubleshooting step by step and still the pages will not load.
I dont know why because when I got the laptop, I unpacked it and everything worked, and apart from the updates and a few photos I have not put anything else on the laptop, so cant understand why they would stop working.

Dont think its the updates because when I reinstalled it, I tried the sites before doing the update and still they did not work.
Dont know what else to do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Have you tried uninstalling MSN and reinstalling it?
Also, before you reinstall MSN, by sure to go to user (Angela)/library/login keychain and delete the MSN keychain.
Then when you reinstall, and start and put in your name and password, it will save it into keychains again.
The best way to uninstall it is to use an App like AppCleaner which will find all the files related to MSN and trash them too :)
Post back with your results :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you and i did deleate it yes but not the way you said so I will try that tonight, any ideas for the web pages?

Thank you
Angela

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Firefox....
Facebook has a lot of issues quite often with certain pages not loading, or not loading at all.
Mac forums also has quite a lot of issues quite often too.
I have also found that at times, when I can't get onto certain sites, or more so, the pages won't load properly, I test it on Safari, and it works ie Telstra (telephone carrier here)....
The fact that some sites are opening and some aren't makes it seem to me that if it's not the sites at fault, then the router firewall or your mac firewall may be preventing it.
What I do suggest though just to be sure that it's not the router, is to ring your ISP and have them change your IP address which I did recently. It cleared up some problems that I was having.
The best way to know if it is the sites you are trying to load is to simultaneously attempt to visit these sites with your mac and windows system side by side.

Also, the combo update isn't one that came with the automatic software updates, you need to download it directly from the apple site.
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

Also check that you have the latest version of Firefox

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you again, I have tried the Microsoft one and it works fine, but will try them side by side tonight aswell, I dont think its the Firewall as I have had that all the time and they use to work.
I will get my dad to ring the ISP i dont know if they would let me change it because im not the main account holder.
And I downloaded the combo update from Apple's site but it wouldnt let me install it, so I just thought I must already have it.
Cant remember what it said exactly think it was you do not have the requirements to install this on this drive.... could that be the problem? I thought I just already had it and thats what the OSX update was that I downloaded via the Apple mac itself.

If that made any sense, I am good with Windows and can sort problems out on them but a mac is all new to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I downloaded the combo update from Apple's site but it wouldnt let me install it, so I just thought I must already have it.
Cant remember what it said exactly think it was you do not have the requirements to install this on this drive.... could that be the problem? I thought I just already had it and thats what the OSX update was that I downloaded via the Apple mac itself.

Even if you have it, it should let you install it over and over again....
Could you go to your apple icon, about this mac, and tell me what version it says you have ...10.x.x ?
If is says you have 10.5.8 then can you go to finder window and tell me how much space you have left on your HD, and how big the HD is?

If it is 10.5.8 in about this mac, and you have space on your HD, can you try to install it again, and tell me exactly what the error message is?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hiya I am at work at the moment so cant but I can remember that information from last night.

Version 10.5.8 Hard drive space around 220GB left of 250GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok... firstly, you're running on to little space left on your hard.
You should have a bare minimum of 15%, ideally 25-50% free space.
As for being on 10.5.8 and having any error message when trying to install any update which is the same as the version you have or later (10.5.0 to 10.5.8) is not normal, so I look forward to a post back as to what the error message is precisely when you get back.
Also, HD space is a big issue, and I would look to upgrading to a larger HD, or moving items onto an external HD to free up space.

OP
A
Reaction score
220 GB isnt enough?? thought that would be ideally enough.
I will post the error message as soon as I get home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops, sorry, I somehow misread it... Thought you said 220 used out of 250!:Oops:

OP
A
Reaction score
lol thats ok thought it would be enough :) had me worried there for a min.
I will let you all the information tonight I will double check and make sure it doesnt install and then will post the information.
Thank you for all your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have seen some individual machines have issues related to DNS.

Would suggest trying to use OpenDNS settings to see if that would help.
You can change this on the router, which is what I would suggest.
Or you can add the OpenDNS addresses in the Network settings of your Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for that I was looking at that earlier and thought I would try that tonight aswell.

Also some people have said changing the MTU on the machine and on the router has cured a lot of problems people have had, I have looked up changing this....does anyone think its a good idea? or will it knock my dads laptop out aswell maybe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This link may (should) scare you off if you head that way before contacting your ISP
:p
Mac OS X 10.4 or later: How to change the MTU for troubleshooting purposes

I'd first try as bobtomay suggested....... and also, awaiting the results of the error message.

I'm in OZ, and by the time you come through with that I hope to be off with the fairies..... but I'm quite certain that by the time I awake from my beauty sleep (LOL) that there will be more answers (or questions)
:)

OP
A
Reaction score
lol yeah I will be home in about just over 2 hours time and will try what you have both suggested and post on here what I have found and wont touch the MTU lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not really seen mtu settings as the culprit in the last couple of years, although it's possible

Use to be a larger problem with dial-up services. Could be worth a try, and 6strings' link has the correct methodolgy as far as settings to try starting at 1500. This would be the last thing I'd be looking at though.

The other thing to look at is the firewall settings on that Windows machine. If it's running a 3rd party software firewall, I would turn it off during testing.

Also would be curious as to the message you received when attempting the combo update install. This could be indicative of larger issues...or just a bad download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.