New owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15
15' Macbook Pro

Hello all........I just got a 15"macbook pro. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the battery. I plug in the adapter and the little light comes on and stays yellow for a short while then goes green. But it will not keep the comp running if I unplug the adapter. Now what?
Sorry ....I bought it second hand.....It's not new. I'm not sure how old it is.:[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all........I just got a macbook pro 15. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the battery. I plug in the adapter and the little light comes on and stays yello for a short while then goes green. But it will not keep the comp running if I unplug the adapter. Now what?

Your MacBook Pro is almost brand new...take it to your local Apple Store (hopefully not too far away) to be examined.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just received your "PM" thanks for the additional info:

In your initial post you said..."I just got a MacBook Pro 15". This can mean two things:

1. It's a brand new model MacBook Pro 15.
2. It's an older model MacBook Pro 15"...and it's "New to you".

So it helps to differentiate between the two!:)

In any case...since this is not a "new" MacBook Pro...and given the problem you have...it's very possible that the battery you have is gone, dead, done-for...and maybe you just need a new battery.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15
Hey man..............................thanks..........Any way to tell positively?? I just tried again....as soon as i unplug the adapter....it goes completely dead....Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
well we know for sure that your batt is not able to charge , So that narrows it down to the batt or the board , most likely the batt so buy one and if that doesn't fix your issue its off to the apple store for you. now you could take it in first but its always nice to do a little trouble shooting on your own.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Then before you fork out the $$$ you could try resetting the SMC here just in case it makes a difference.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey man..............................thanks..........Any way to tell positively?? I just tried again....as soon as i unplug the adapter....it goes completely dead....Thanks again!

One additional thing you could try (in addition to the other great suggestions). Download a program called "Coconut Battery":

coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5]

...and run the program. I think this would be very very interesting test...since I don't recall anyone running the Coconut Battery program on a suspected "dead battery" here on Mac-Forums.

It would be very very interesting to see what Coconut Battery says...please post results!:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
yeah, I second coconut battery, nice little app :) it will tell you how much capacity the battery actually has ... most importantly how many cycles it has done and how old it is ... report back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.