Archive & Install -- hung on "Verifying Installation Volume"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Having problems with macbook fan running too much, took to dealer, and he could not replicate the problem (can't imagine why, easily replicatable by me at home). Computer now out of Applecare warranty. He suggested an archive and install. So, I got out the restore disks, checked button for A&I, and the computer started checking the DVD. All seemed fine. When the DVD was checked, the message came up that it was "Verifying Installation Volume", and then it just hung. I left it for a while (an hour) but nothing changed. There was no noticable hard drive activity, and the buttons for Cancel etc. were grayed out. I finally quit the computer by pressing the power button.

Tried again with same result, and then tried to use the restore disks from my husband's almost identical macbook (mine's a 2 ghz, super drive, his is the model lower with combo drive -- same vintage, fall 2006). Same results.

So, question is -- what is wrong here? Are the disks both bad? Is my hard drive questionable, or??? I really don't want to do an erase and install because I have several programs that I really don't feel like having to re-download, etc. I have a backup on an external drive that I did with SuperDuper, so guess I could, but I just don't feel like I have that kind of time.

Or, can someone help with the fan noise? Comes on when the computer does not seem to be under a load. Have downloaded SMC fan control, have watched Activity Monitor, etc., but nothing seems to be running that should cause the fan to run.

Sorry so long winded, and thanks for any help and/or guidance comeone can give.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
How A&I might cure a fan speed issue I cannot fathom, so I sympathise with your view of the dealer's advice.

Take one step back from A&I, and instead run a hardware check from that Install dvd. Boot from the dvd, open Disk Utilities > First Aid > Verify Hard Disk and then Repair if necessary.

If that doesn't work, we need to consider bringing in the big gun, namely Disk Warrior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
and you say that it worked fine at the shop ? What is it sitting on at home ? Perhaps its not on a nice had flat surface ? Just spitballing here...and congrats on having a bootable clone of your drive at least you'll be ok no matter what happens.

Clay

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
O.K., update! Booted to restore disk, but when I chose either repair the disk or verify the disk, all I got was spinning beachball! Can't go further! Fearing that the problem might be the hard drive -- or is it the disk? I did not have time to try with my husband's disk, though while I was working on mine (trying several times only to get to the same place and quit), he ran DU on his and his disk worked fine. Maybe trying his disk would help?

As far as what it is sitting on, it sits on a Targus Cool-Pad (I think they goby another name now). It is specifically made for laptops, and raise the back up maybe an inch or so for cooling. Very stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Time to try boot into Safe Mode (hold down Shift at startup). This allows you to get at many of your non-OS-related material to transfer it to another drive - even to a flash drive, or to dvd via an external optical drive, or to your husband's Mac via firewire or network.

Your husband's Install disk *may* work with your laptop - you can but try it. If it won't work (as opposed to can't work) then .......

Disk Warrior is the next port-of-call. It is expensive @ ~US$100, so taking your Mac to a technician who has DW to use may be a cheaper option.

Failing all of the above, it's probably time to consider a replacement hard drive, or to have the logic board checked by a technician.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.