Auto Generated Application List

Reaction score
I recently had the catastrophic hard drive failure on my laptop. I now have a huge external drive that I use for TimeMachine on my Desktop and my Laptop. In order to save space backing up I want to exclude the applications folder and simply have a text file generated that will list all of the installed apps (and version-if possible). Then I would have this text file backed up instead of the xxGB sized applications folder.

Would this be easiest if done in a shell script, apple script, maybe automator can help?

Has anyone else done this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
A question ? If you dont include your apps folder in the backup will you have any apps backed-up ? I may be wrong but you will not be saving hdd space as TM just keeps adding back ups till disk is full then starts deleting the oldest to continue. I am sure someone will come along to shoot me down or confirm but If it were me i would let time machine do its job.

Just my thoughts
Clay

OP
N
Reaction score
Correct, I'd have no Apps folder backed up. The apps really aren't my priority as far as retaining data since I have all of the media to install (sure it'll take more time to recover if the unthinkable happens again) but with a 1.5 TB backup and a desktop with 1TB and a laptop with 250GB, I'm sure it'll get full fast. No need to have the apps folder add more waste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
This is actually quite simple using System Profiler. Run this command from Terminal:
Code:
system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType > ~/Desktop/Applications.txt
This will output every single application on your computer to a file on the Desktop called Applications.txt. To refine it to just the applications in your Applications folder, try something like this:
Code:
system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep "Location: /Applications" -B 7 > ~/Desktop/Applications.txt
It will output a generally nice list of applications. You could even refine that further to include other folders, such as ~/Applications. Also, you can change the path to output it wherever you like, including on your backup disk somewhere.

Throw that as a do shell script in an AppleScript, set it to run on a schedule with iCal, and you'll be good to go. Here are instructions that I gave in another thread on how to assign an application to a scheduled iCal event. Just replace making an Automator script with making an AppleScript (or even do make it in Automator with a Run Applescript action), and schedule it regularly for how often you want the file to be updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.