IP Address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Whats the best way to mask or hide my IP address when I search/browse the web with Safari on my Mac?

I'm a bit of a security freak, so I do what I can...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
rs2sensen said:
Whats the best way to mask or hide my IP address when I search/browse the web with Safari on my Mac?

I'm a bit of a security freak, so I do what I can...

I'd like to know this as well.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you are on Tiger than go to Safari -> Private Browsing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope that came out with Safari 2.0 which is only on Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I don't think private browsing will hide your IP address - I'm pretty sure the only way to do something like that is to use a web-based proxy server. This is because whenever your computer sends a request to your ISP for a website it's your ISP that gives the IP info to the host server, not your computer.

K

KuruMonkey

I've not seen this Private Browsing (Panther for me), but unless it connects you to a proxy, then it doesn't hide your IP address. And even if it does, that still means that single proxy has your ip address, recorded against what it proxied for you.

If you want to surf for your pr0n and not leave an IP trace, you need to find an anonymous proxy, set yourself up to use it, do your stuff, then not use that proxy again.

I can't remember the name, but on the PC you can get a program that cycles a list of known proxies for you; so that sequencial requests are proxied through different IP addresses. That gives the best hiding you're going to get.

Also it is possible to proxy your proxy (i.e. get your machine to ask proxy A, which asks proxy B etc.)

Whether any of this is available on the Mac? I don't know. But "anonymous proxy" and "open proxy" are the things you want to be looking for.

Be aware that this will cock up tracking cookies, since the cookie will relate to the proxy ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.