Instaling a .DMG ??

T

thorsonb

:Grimmace:
It's still unclear to me as to how to install a .dmg
I downloaded a few programs and stuff...

Some of them open with a splash screen.. With the App & the Application folder in one window, giving me clear instructions as "drag the icon into the app folder" and then there is the Icon that appears on the desktop as a drive of the application?

Can someone please clear this up to me.... I only got a Mac for about 2 weeks now...
'Thanx

P.s is there a good site that lists all Free Mac applications? (Like a Mac App Database, such as Ubuntu WineDB/ What do you recommend I install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
When ever you dl a APP it will either have the app and app folder in the same window. Whichever you just drag the App to the Applications folder and then it is installed.

Now you will have the mounted drive on desk top so you can just drag it to the trash and eject it. With the .dmg you can now either trash that as well or if you are like me most of the big .dmg files i have i save them in a separate folder, just in case i have problems and need to do a reinstall or another version comes out.

But as long as you drag the App to your Applications folder its all good then keep or trash what you want

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My favorite place for Open Source stuff.

Not exactly a database, more like a selective collection.

Check back later, I might have a video tutorial on how to install stuff on a Mac. We seem to be getting a lot of question on how to properly do so.

Linky to the video tutorial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.