set ministackV3 as main drive?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in every respect. I'm a very new mac user and I'm also becoming
increasingly interested in learning about what my computer can do aside from just checking email and surfing.

I just purchased a MiniStack V3 to go with my new MacMini 2.53ghz with 4GB of ram. I noticed that the ministack works at 7200rpm whereas the mini works at a slower speed (5400?). Would it be a smart move to set the ministack as the main drive for the computer? Would this increase certain aspects of the computer's performance? If so, would someone be so generous with their time as to explain to me how to go about doing this?

Thanks sincerely for any input on this.
Adrean

Reaction score
I think any benefit in rotational speed would likely be offset by a slower data transfer rate from the V3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I agree. Disk spinning speed has a minimal effect on overall system speed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I agree. Disk spinning speed has a minimal effect on overall system speed.

You would get disagreement here from the great many of us that have seen significant speed improvements in boot times and application launch times by moving from 5400 to 7200 rpm internal drives. My boot time was cut by just over 20 seconds. Of course this will depend on which drives your changing from/to. Most users will see a much more significant speed boost here than they would from increasing RAM in the last few generations of Macs.

I think any benefit in rotational speed would likely be offset by a slower data transfer rate from the V3.

This I would agree with since you have no eSATA connection on the MacMini. Your throughput speeds will be determined by the capability of the ports/cabling being used and not the read/write capability of the drive in the MiniStack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.