Apple computer quality?

Reaction score
Well I have a question, how are the apple computers a better quality then a pc when a lot of them use the same hardware, are they assembled differently? Thanks, was just curious.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only reason to purchase a Mac over a Windows machine is OSX.

Yes, OSX can be installed on SOME PC hardware but it's against the law. People who say otherwise are wrong.

OP
DMG1287
Reaction score
Yeah, but how do apple computers last longer than window pc's then if the hardware is the same?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah, but how do apple computers last longer than window pc's then if the hardware is the same?

Who says they last longer?

And what do you mean by last longer...

- better build quality...thus they don't break or fall apart as easily as Windows laptops?
- or you get more "computer life" out of a Macintosh computer before you have to purchase a newer model?

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
While Macs may share many of the same internals, build quality extends outside of the internal parts. Build quality extends to everything including the most mundane parts including the quality of the keys. It is the parts and manufacturing detail that Apple is responsible for that differentiates it from other PC manufacturers. That may not answer your question but it does provide some context for what "build quality" encompasses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
When I pick up my wife's Acer laptop now after using my MacBook for a month....yes it "feels" substantially different. The new MBs are a uni-body construction which feels very solid.

And it's in the details. Apple puts a lot of effort into the user interface, which includes the physical parts of that interface. It shows.

And, OSX.....very nice.

To me, as someone who spends a good deal of time on a laptop for work and pleasure, it was worth it. But I drive a 6-year old KIA to work...different people choose to pamper themselves in different areas.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't say as I agree they last longer than any other computer.

Have a friend bought one of my homebuilt machines, tickled to death with it. Says it's the best computer he's ever had. A P4 3.4 O/C'd to 3.8. It's 6 years old. The 5.1 dolby surround speakers I sold him with it are 9 yrs old.

Still have a 7 yr old Dell here in the house.

Have another friend, gave their kid another of my homebuilt gaming rigs, still going strong, it's 8 yrs old.

2 of our 10 computers in the office are 9 yr old P3 1 Ghz HP machines. We bought 4 of them. The other two could have been fixed, one with just a new drive... but used it for an excuse to upgrade.

My newest machine is a HTPC running Win7.

My choice for my primary personal computing happens to be OS X.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Build quality changes from machine to machine, not brand to brand (ultimately). Sure, one brand can have a higher than average life span for its products but quality comes down to the product, not the brand.

OP
DMG1287
Reaction score
I have just heard from many apple users that there computers are built better and last longer. I know I have owned some PC's for 5 years with no problems (other than normal microsoft errors over time) and I have had some that break in just over a year. I was just curious. I am hoping the macbook I am buying when I get my tax return last longer then a year like some of my ps's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
i wonder if the average life of a macbook is not extended because the people who buy them tend to spend more money on them, and so treat them better than some-one who has bought a cheap laptop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have just heard from many apple users that there computers are built better and last longer. I know I have owned some PC's for 5 years with no problems (other than normal microsoft errors over time) and I have had some that break in just over a year. I was just curious. I am hoping the macbook I am buying when I get my tax return last longer then a year like some of my ps's.

I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the machine you buy from the get-go. In PCs, I've always bought higher-end machines. And oddly enough, those are the machines with the best internal components, materials and finish. As a result, yes the hardware does last longer.

When you buy disposable crapola that's under $500, you get what you paid for. It's really that simple. Fortunately, Apple doesn't compete in that market.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When you buy disposable crapola that's under $500, you get what you paid for.

[size=+1]"Disposable crapola"[/size]...I'll have to file that away somewhere for future use!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
[size=+1]"Disposable crapola"[/size]...I'll have to file that away somewhere for future use!;)

- Nick

Ditto. That was a good one CWA and very true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I love it...how is that not the name of a band ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.