(iMac 27")
Do you shut it down? When and why?
Do you put just display to sleep?
Do you put computer to sleep?
When and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Most of us sleep our iMacs most of the time. There's an ill defined theory about doing a power off every so often, but no consensus on how often. I'm sure that assuming everything is working OK on your iMac, powering down once a week would be more than enough. Some folks think it unwise to leave a computer powered up 24/7 when connected to the Internet. But with a password protected, encrypted home network that shouldn't be much of a concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
agree with VegasGeorge Just sleep mine. The only time it gets turned off is when an install requires a restart or I am taking it out of the house( almost never)

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Mine is (usually) turned off before going to bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Believer in turning off as a reboot fully checks the operating system and hardware out.

Reaction score

For my computers, I manually turn them off each night (before I go to bed). For my computers connected to Backup UPS unit (that also have its auto-shutdown feature working properly), I leave Turned ON. If electrical source goes out, my backup UPS/Computer system does a nicely controlled auto shut down "on its own".

In the past, I had a few computers (without Backup UPS) that got corrupted when its electrical source went out. Cutting electrical power to any live computer is a risk. Risk of screwing up something. Thus, why properly configured Backup UPS is a great thing to have. Even a little APC Backup UPS 700VA or larger unit works great (for controlled "automatic" power shut downs - when needed). re: Back UPS RS LCD 700 Master Control

Works for me...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.