Newb question concerning Parallels, and other things

Reaction score
I am considering getting my first mac, a Mac Pro tower of some sort and I wanted to run Rhino4 (3d rendering program) in windows in parallels on it. Thing is I mentioned this another forum (starshipmodeler.com) and the computer guys over there warned me that if i'm running an emulator/virtual machine on any given OS, the VM will only be able to access 256mb of the video card's abilities no matter how much RAM i give the machine as a whole.

Is this true? Is there any way for me to get the thign i'm doing in parallels to access more of the card?

If my only recourse is to use Bootcamp, then I'm seriously doubting whether or not I should get a Mac; the original idea was to do only Rhino and related 3d things on the PC side and everything else on the mac side, including PS, illustrator, itunes, ms word, intensive FF browsing, torrenting, watching movies, garage band....literally anything else. The original reason for using parallels was so that i could do everything at once. I had my eye on an 8core monster so I figured this wouldn't be an issue.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You probably don't want to run anything 3D intensive on a VM. Virtualization is *not* emulation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a significant level of abstraction from the hardware. And historically, 3D support has been a weak point. I don't see the video ram being a problem, since rendering is more CPU intensive than anything else. But even still, I would recommend using Boot Camp to let it beat on the hardware.

Have you considered switching to a more mainstream package like Cinema4D?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.